DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I actually did this install about 6 months ago and I'm finally getting around to posting the pictures of the install!

Here's the list of equipment:

Alpine PDX-4.150
Alpine PDX-1.1000
Alpine SWX-1043D
Alpine SPX-17PRO
Alpine PXA-H650

Yes, all Alpine. I work at a stereo shop and Alpine was nice enough to sell me the stuff for less than dealer cost!

First, here's the car:

2001 540i 6-speed with the sport package

Anyway, lets start with the amp and processor install.

Before:

Took out the factory amp and made an amprack from 16g steel:

Painted:

with the h650 and starting the wiring:

with the amps and some old crossovers that i used for the factory speakers. It actually sounded pretty good like this:

I don't have a picture but it all fits behind the factory panel. Thats it for the amps. Next will be the speakers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So for the speakers i wanted to use a 6.5" to get some decent midbass (although the speaker choice limited that, but more on that later).

For those of you who know this car, the factory 5.25 sits in a plastic speakerpod that quite frankly sucks, so i decided to ditch that and make a panel to seal up the door.

First some dynamat:

then I cut an MDF panel in the shape of the factory pod and taped it up for some fiberglass.

after some fiberglass:

then some dynamat:

then the speaker:

I also molded the huge tweeter into the panel here... sorry no pictures of the process.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PDX amps are great for what they are: small and very powerful. However they are not HiFi amps, they have some noise and they aren't the most dynamic. The power is perhaps a little overrated as well. Anyway, nothing else can fit in that spot that is significantly better, so I used them and I'm pretty happy with the sound overall.

·
Registered
525 Posts
cool install, well integrated and I bet hardly anyone can tell its had work done! Stealth plus.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so now for the sub box.

used the factory passenger side panel for a mold:

6 layers of fiberglass and some trimming

Again. i got lazy and didn't take process pictures but there is the finished product:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any alternator whine? I can't seem to get rid of mine - 2001 e39 M5. Tried about 7 different ground locations. Moved the amp from above the spare tire well to beneath the parcel shelf. I like the sub box idea - same as bimmerbox. Unfortunately there are a few items where that recess makes sense.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any alternator whine?
Every once in a while I catch the faintest sound of alternator whine, but nothing that I can hear on a regular basis. I've installed a few of these H650s and I've never gotten whine from them, they do a pretty good job at noise isolation. FWIW the ground on the H650 is the factory amp ground and the amps are grounded on one of the bols that hold the rear bumper on...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you planning to wrap the sub box? Looks good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all the good comments!

So while the system sounds good, I'm just not 100% happy with it. Not quite loud enough, not much room to tweak with the h650. I just need more everything, so it looks like i'll be taking everything out and starting over again. here's a sneak peak of the new equipment:

Any guesses what else I'm putting in?

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's a very nice and clean install! It sounds like the second version of (re)install be even better...

I have the same car (year) but it's boring titanium silver and a slushbox. There are other E39 owners on here, too, with some really nice systems.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's a very nice and clean install! It sounds like the second version the (re)install will be even better...

I have the same car (year) but it's boring titanium silver and a slushbox. There are other E39 owners on here, too, with some really nice systems like yours.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts