DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've tried all variants (or at least I think I went through all combinations) of BMW audio config. The long and the short, none were close enough to neutral to be useful. Some were more EQ'd than others, but ultimately, they are all compromised. I switched to using the Optical in on the Helix, with auto-sense switching for phone/nav/radio. This was night and day difference in all regards. Don't bother with OEM integration for anything other than occasion output like Nav or parking sensors.

(BMW may be a bit awkward here, but I am very impressed at midbass performance from the underseat locations - if you can cross to the doors at an appropriately low frequency, and don't rely on them for sub-bass)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well you've definitely got further than I have. I gave up, and just flattened it as best I could with Helix input EQ.

But even with a totally flat OP from the HU, I bet it'd still be the best upgrade you could do to have a direct input bypassing the whole thing for everything except system sounds.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do not like the concept of transfering analogue signals to digital and re-transfer them to analogue. You lose quality of the signal
Whilst it is correct that in some absolute sense you do loose something from the signal, I do not agree with the first statement.

Once in the digital domain, you can have 1) far, far better crossovers - that measure acoustically what you need, and avoid all sorts of passives in the signal chain, 2) time alignment 3) EQ, 4) phase correction. Sorting out the acoustic issues of being in a tiny metal and glass box is far, far more important than possibly, potentially, loosing some audio "magic" that may or may not be there.

And also, in addition to that, using the analogue output of the OEM headunit is so, so far from this audio perfection that it renders the whole discussion moot. If you used a Helix DSP for example, you could have EQ'd analogue input for Nav or casual radio, and Toslink input for proper listening. And no need to worry about MOST - or A-> D -> A conversion, for that matter

·
Registered
119 Posts
For this reason I did not make an absolute statement with "I don't like" :)
Of course you are free to not like whatever you want! Somebody can perfectly validly say "I don't like blue".

And in many areas of life I prefer to shun clinical digital techniques, for more tactful or "creative" mediums.

But car audio is not art, it's a science. It is about extracting an enjoyable sound from a ridiculous environment. You can cut up your car until nothing OEM is left. You can tweak crossover components until the end of time. But you will not achieve what you can with DSP, you will spend far more time on it, and you will spend far more money on it.

Play with analogue audio at home. Make crossovers. Make speakers, amps, bass traps, diffusion panels. Get tremendous sound from your efforts. In a car, use DSP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts