DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bmw E34 Touring Project:
Winner of the 2009 Eurofinals - EMMA Advanced Unlimited class! :)

Massive use of steel and aluminium for construction of frames, covers and speakerbaffles.
This build is lightweight and a "heavy" construction at the same time. Doesn't sound bad either.. :p
This build is what I've allways wanted to build, so - since the car is not so valuable, the metalsaw and the ideas has gotten free space.

The main idea is to use speakers with as large membranearea as possible, so there's no stress for them to play in the frequency range they are set to handle.
I've built stereosubs in front - using ODR 10" in kickpanelcabinets of 50litres each side, 7" ODR midranges in custommade dashboard in 17liters cabinets, and ODR tweeters angled on top. A little sub is also placed in the trunk - oldschool JBL 1800GTI sub in 138liters cabinet in the trunkfloor.

There will allways be something not finished in a build like this, so some evaluation and rebuilding will come.. But for now I'll enjoy the sound and use the car for the winter, and then we'll see what the 2010 season will bring.

My Facebookalbum: ODR Bmw

This is an original E34 dashboard

This is what it became :p

Under construction

This is the underside of the dashboardboxes

Low profile!

Ready for vinyl!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: BMW E34 Touring - McIntosh - ODR, norwegian SQcar

Finished! (the brown alcantara has been changed to black)

Inside, wired and playing music!

15mm aluminium on a vacuumboard in the cnc-mill

Halfway finished

Here you can see both kickpanels finished, pressurethreaded M6. O-ring track for gasket.

Covered with superstretch vinyl..

Mounted in the car and the 10" wired..

Pretty nice!?!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Original "inside fender"..

Plenty of unused space!

Kickpanelbox under construction

DeLorean?!? :p

Finished cabinet of 50liters! Identical on the other side..

Lower part of rear sub box is built from fiberglass. All unnecessary steel is cut out and the room for the jack and tools is coupled to the box, for maximum volume.

Baffle in 15mm aluminium is tough enough..

Alu-baffle covered in vinyl. Fuelpump-cover made from same alu-plate.

Battery, fuseholders and 360mm2 groundbar. Main fusebox is mounted directly to batterypost, so 0cm unsecured cable..

A little custom"thingy" driving the frontsystem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Focal Dual Monitor driving the 18".

The Dual Monitor bolted with stainless M6 bolts and alucover covered in Vinyl

25A Ctek batterycharger installed.

Dockingstation for pc.

Proof of usability of a stereo car. :p

Silk Audio signalcables

Things starting to be "finished". At least the way it was in the 2009 season.

Ready for the trip to EMMA Eurofinals in Rotterdam.

Got some stickers..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

A little dashboard detail..

Detail of trunk compartment

Trunk

Just to brag.. ;) Winners handshake at the Eurofinals in Rotterdam.
First place!!! 17points down to second place, that went to Russia, and 5points more down to third place from Germany.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

WOW! Especially love the kicks!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts

very nice :)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts

So what do you have driving the fronts, behind the custom McIntosh shroud? I bet a lot of people think it's an MC4000M, huh? :)

Also I love the kickpanels, and I can really appreciate the amount of work it took to make that happen. Well done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So what do you have driving the fronts, behind the custom McIntosh shroud? I bet a lot of people think it's an MC4000M, huh? :)

Also I love the kickpanels, and I can really appreciate the amount of work it took to make that happen. Well done.
Thanks! :)

Well.. This is kind of a "locost" project, so I've used 2xMC427 (one for each of the 10" frontsubs in bridgemode) and a MC440M in 4-ch mode - supplying 2x100w for tweeters and 2x200w for the midranges.
To make this look good, since none of those amps matched, I made a fake cover (actually bigger than the MC4000) to get a smooth design in the trunk. Got some comments about it, but I'd thougt more people would see it's a fake.. :p

·
Registered
60 Posts

very nice work....

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

Thanks! :)

Well.. This is kind of a "locost" project, so I've used 2xMC427 (one for each of the 10" frontsubs in bridgemode) and a MC440M in 4-ch mode - supplying 2x100w for tweeters and 2x200w for the midranges.
To make this look good, since none of those amps matched, I made a fake cover (actually bigger than the MC4000) to get a smooth design in the trunk. Got some comments about it, but I'd thougt more people would see it's a fake.. :p
So what is the sub in the back getting for power?

·
Registered
31 Posts

Beautiful.

That sub is nothing short of amazing. JBL still makes woofers that look identical to the original GTi series woofer. They use them in THX approved cinema's and in the Synthesis systems! 2241H & 2242H are the current part #'s I believe.

I have 2x 2241H's in 2x 11ft3 cabinets in my home theater. They're the only subwoofer I've ever used that can accurately reproduce the true sound of a gunshot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Beautiful.

That sub is nothing short of amazing. JBL still makes woofers that look identical to the original GTi series woofer. They use them in THX approved cinema's and in the Synthesis systems! 2241H & 2242H are the current part #'s I believe.

I have 2x 2241H's in 2x 11ft3 cabinets in my home theater. They're the only subwoofer I've ever used that can accurately reproduce the true sound of a gunshot.
This is actually a original GTI, that has gotten the repairkit (believe it's the 224xH in 4ohm config. This one is not getting much of the frequency spectrum to work with, getting from 30hz and down with a really steep filter. The internal DSP in the Dual Monitor is set to cut at 30hz with approx 200+ dB/oct. (combined heavy use of the paragraphic eq and 24dB filter). The frontsubs are playing from 20hz to 50hz, so the 18" is just helping at the absolutely low end.
The cabinet is kind of special, looks like a closed cabinet with 2 chambers. But this is a "tweak" with a Helmholz resonator as the small chamber, wich helps lowering the total resonace to 12hz. This "box" is playing linear from 12hz to 30hz.. Total cabinet volume is 138liters..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So what is the sub in the back getting for power?
It's powered by the Focal Dual Monitor, feeding it with 800wrms.
This is not the important part of the system, as the frontspeakers is actually reproducing the whole register from 20hz to 38khz. So I don't really need the sub in the back, it's just for the little extra fun of feeling the ultimate low..

The power and the headroom from the frontsystem is quite amazing!
Those Pioneer ODR speakers are really playing both powerful an smooth when they get "a little bit" more power than they get from the ODR amps of 4x50w...

·
Registered
518 Posts

too bad we cannot get the good ODR speakers here in the USA. i'd love a pair of those 10's at the very least ...

·
Registered
10 Posts

Great install!!! Nice to see people who really know what they are doing! :)
Proper job with kicks is the best.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Love the dash, kickpanels+the enclosure they are in, the big-ass sub, and the car.

You should GIVE it to me...now.

·
Registered
82 Posts

That is awesome. I love the E34, it is one of my favorite cars. The dash looks amazing.

Great work, thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts