DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

BMW F30 Audio Equipment Selection Help

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sparcorel 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an F30 with base audio and I want to upgrade it.

Mainly create a 4 way system with 3 way active on front stage plus a corner custom fiberglass sub box on the trunk.

Since I live in Romania, I'm somehow limited to speakers selection so here it's what I can get (wish ai could get Morels):

For front stage in my preferred order:
1. Hertz HV 165XL (prefer this to Mille 1650.3) Mille 700.3 and Mille 280.3 - I've listened to this and really like it
2. Focal PS165F3 3way kit - somewhat like the Hertz option only cheeper
3. Focal K2 100KRS + Gladen 201 subwoofer - never listened
4. DLS Ultimate UP4 + Gladen 201 subwoofer - never listened
5. Gladen 201 full 3 way set - never listened
6. Focal IFBMW-S two way OEM replacement and Focal IFBMW-Sub - never listened

Will be using Mosconi 6to8 DSP, as for amps i will decide after speaker selection. (most likely Mosconi or Alpine).

For subwoofer in trunk I think I'll go with Hertz HX 250.

Now my questions since I'm a noob I don't know if options 1 and 2 do work in a bmw with the 6.5" under seats (I know i have to do some custom work to fit them), here's how I'm imagining them from a cross over stand point, by reading the documentation.

Option 1:
Hertz HX 250: ~30-80Hz
Hertz HV 165XL: 80-250Hz - 16.5" under seat
Hertz Mille 700.3: 250-4.5Khz - 3" stock door location
Hertz Mille 280.3: 4.5khz and up - tweeter stock door sail location

Option 2:
Hertz HX 250: ~30-80Hz

Focal PS165F3
16.5" - 80-300Hz - under seat
3" - 300-3.5Khz - stock door location
tweeter - 3.5Khz and up - stock door sail location

So, since I will have a sub in the trunk I don't need sub bass under the seats but a mid-bass... crossing a 6.5" ~250-300Hz (options 1 and 2) It's a good option? It will make the sound come from under seat? I've read lots of opinions where it says that the under seat shouldn't be cross higher than 160Hz etc... So I really need a professional advice or a person who listened to a such combination, and also if having the 6.5" speakers under seat will work from a speaker parameters stand point besides the cross over stand point which I've detailed upwards.

I really like the Hertz or the Focal PS165F3 for they'r sound and quality so do you think options 1 and 2 are viable? With 6.5 drivers under seats? Or am I forced to pick my next favorite option 3?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you able to get this?

car-specific 3-way speaker system for BMW

They do sell the subwoofers by themselves too...
car-specific under-seat subwoofer for BMW

I think Simplicity in Sound has had good luck with the Gladen under seat woofers, i'm sure the Focal and Match are high quality also. Since you like the Hertz mid and tweeter you could stick with them but i would go with one of the BMW specific under seat subs myself.

#3 ·
Hi,

I might be able to find the match subwoofer, do you think is higher quality than gladen or focal? But not the subwoofer is the problem... the hertz door mid does not go lower than 250Hz and the mid from Focal PS165F3 does not go lower than 300hz...

From my research either Match, Focal, Gladen. Jehnert subs doesn not play fine higher than 165Hz... max 200hz... so i will have 165 to 250 or 300hz spectrum untill door mids uncovered... that's my problem, am I wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.