DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey team.. my wife decided to give me the green lite on putting a better system in her 2017 bmw x1 msport with the harman kardon M.O.S.T. stereo system. i have a working budget of 3000.00 ish....Speakers are easy AudioFrog but its the intergration at the back amp, thats is my issue ..... without buying a M.O.S.T. converter ie. mobridge, then dsp, then amps, is there a plug and play unit that will give me full dsp, a small bump in power AND givie me and output to add a small amp to run the subs?

Attachments

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hummm maybe i will just leave the 4 inch speakers, upgrade the door tweets, and the underseat 8s delete the center channel and i wont use rear fill, ever!, so no need to change them out.. run a simple ported box with one 12 and done for speaker upgrade..What about a mobridge da1 to a match bmw 7up?

· Banned
24,246 Posts
The mobridges are a bit more finicky than the sdmi25. I would do that to an Up10 and use all Match replacement speakers. We helped another shop tune a car where they did that and I was thoroughly impressed.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
match 10 might be the ticket.. please let me know how it turns out.. as far as the mobridge da1 i have a tight budget and a used one i can grab for 300 bucks, i have found zero used sdmi units... Cost is the only factor on that item.

· Premium Member
85 Posts
How do you plan on doing the midbass, underseat in stock location ?

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes underseat. as of today i havent seen, tested or heard of any aftermarket replacement 8 being better at reproducing midbass than the oem driver so not sure what i want to due with this yet...There is a whole thread on this exact topic. Unless you are adding bigger power.... stick with the oem underseat 8s..The neo handles more power thus will play louder but wont play any lower than the oem, I find with all these aftermarket 8s that are a direct bolt in, that seems to be the tradeoff. More power handling but cant go lower.. AND even if you could play 30hz at 90db and more.. your vehicle is gonna rattle something awful so you just might make things a whole lot worse.

· Registered
15 Posts
yes underseat. as of today i havent seen, tested or heard of any aftermarket replacement 8 being better at reproducing midbass than the oem driver so not sure what i want to due with this yet...There is a whole thread on this exact topic. Unless you are adding bigger power.... stick with the oem underseat 8s..The neo handles more power thus will play louder but wont play any lower than the oem, I find with all these aftermarket 8s that are a direct bolt in, that seems to be the tradeoff. More power handling but cant go lower.. AND even if you could play 30hz at 90db and more.. your vehicle is gonna rattle something awful so you just might make things a whole lot worse.
FWIW, according to several BMW forums there seem to be two underseat woofers that are a "significant" improvement (your results may vary): the AD neo 800 (more bass, if not using a sub) and the Jehnert xe200 (more SQ and mid bass). Neither are plug and play but pretty close as they use a spacer/adapter so it's pretty straightforward. I've sorta decided it wasn't worth the extra cost by the time you add the cost of the SMDI25, amp, etc, for my non-daily e92 with L7/HK.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have not tested either of those two speakers so i cant comment on there performance, I have tested the earthquake sws, helix, mb quart, rockford, and audison.. All but the earthquake have results less than what they are worth.. The earthquake played a bit lower and handled more power so that was positive. Now i just ran a test on the underseat oem 8 with R.E.W. last night, and i saw ALOT of 30 hz information.. Thats positive.. But again we are now limited to under 50 watts on the oem driver.

· Premium Member
5,047 Posts
We are using the ESB BMW SW1 Under seat 8 in my wife's X3. They play 60hz to 200hz
They do a fantastic job as a midbass driver.
Arc Audio A12 plays 60hz and down.

Realistically without fully venting a speaker. You will not get much response below 50hz from the underseat 8s.

Reactions: audiodelic

· Premium Member
85 Posts
According to Peter from pssound, stock locations in bmw underseat with a plastic adapter and limited airspace at the back creates a problem for the driver to achieve sealed airspace and it sounds quite bad with aftermarket drivers which need airspace.

Peter suggest cutting the underbody and installing mid bass i bmw cars, but im sure thats a pita for most including me.
My 6GT no aftermarket audio plans materializing due to this, its my opinion if you cant get good midbass is there a point going aftermarket audio.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.