DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
ended with fiberglassing for this project - baffle was fiberglassed all arround to the mold from the inside of the box. I scuffed mat, mixed it with resin and apply from behind....was a bit of messy project, but it is done. Today I will sand everything down and wrap in black 4D vinyl.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
heres a few pics of yesterdays progress

Enclosure walls were completely dampened with Silent coat damping plates, all enclosure edges were cleaned and a few small imperfections were smoothed out with filler.
after that enclosure was wrapped in black 4D stretch vinyl....

Damping inside of enclosure

enclosure edges cleaned up

wrapped in vinyl

finished

·
Registered
212 Posts
heres a few pics of yesterdays progress

Enclosure walls were completely dampened with Silent coat damping plates, all enclosure edges were cleaned and a few small imperfections were smoothed out with filler.
after that enclosure was wrapped in black 4D stretch vinyl....

finished
As usual - PERFECT! Where do you get the vinyl? I googled 4d stretch vinyl and vinyl wrap is what came up. Is that vinyl easy to work with? Thanks

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@ DaveG - I buy vinyl in local car audio store, this material is widely used among car audio installers in Eu. It is very stretchy in both directions and it is very simple to pull out complexs shapes, especially if you apply heat to it.

You can also try this - take a piece of standard vinyl, wipe back side with accetone and pull backing off of the vinyl. now it will be super stretchy, but be carefull not to demage surface pattern.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yea dude, that thing is wicked awesome. I guess glassing the baffle from the inside helps keep that outside line so sharp?

Would love to attempt something like this in a future car, well, let's be honest it'd be multiple "attempts" I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Had a little spare time and I decide to sort cable for SW....The cable is 4mm2 from GZ, I put it in snake-skin for protection and looks, sorted termination and added XT90 connector for quick disconnect.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Over the weekend I ended this small install.... All power cables and speaker cable were put in snake skin and terminated. Fuse was installed 40 cm from the battery, enclosure was bolted down to the cars chasis, fiberfill was added inside of enclosure, amp installed and everything wired up and tuned. Subwoofer still need some time to break in, after that I will do final tuning. So far everything sounded pretty decent... Onto the pics:

Cables in snakeskin and terminated and fuse added

Amplifier installed and connected

Enclosure was bolted down to the car chasis

Fiberfill was added to enclosure

Driver installed

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Very nice, man! As clean as it gets...

Reactions: LBaudio

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
thanks guys for your nice comments! The enclosure finish goes up well with surrounding plactic in the trunk, and it blend quite nice into the trunk side....it looks even better in person. I wanted to do some relief lettering/JL logo, but there was not enough space in the front baffle to look nice and cool.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts