DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm in the planning stages of a system for a BMW i have on order. Ive ordered the car with the base audio (i had no choice) and as such it has no tweeters. I'm going to add tweeters and run active. My initial plan was to buy the HK tweeter housings, but when i i saw the cost to buy all the parts to do it, i was put off. The plastic sections are about £80 each, and the tiny grills are £50 each. Replacement plain ones are approx £30 each, so i then decided id buy some plain trims, and modify them, i can then refit the original ones back into the car.

so the plain trims look like this:
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

Car Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

And i had decided to try the Seas 27TFFNC/G Tweeter and mount them in these trims. The outer diameter of the tweeter mount is 53mm, so i should just be able to mount them on the flat section before the curve and do a neat job of it.

Then i wondered if i might try and find some of the HK trims from a crashed car and use those. The HK mounts look like this:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift White

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive design

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille

It does look as if the tweeters are angled slightly within the housing, but i cant be sure. It would look more OEM though. It does mean i'm back to square one on my tweeters, but there should be plenty of options that i can get to fit in there.

The seas being surface mounted, would stick out into the car more, and might get better dispersion perhaps?

What would you do and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
We never get to see right-side driving vehicles. Is the gas pedal on the left (making it completely inversed from America’s?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
We never get to see right-side driving vehicles. Is the gas pedal on the left (making it completely inversed from America’s?
No, exactly the same order just the other side of the console, if it’s an auto we have the clutch missing by the centre console, awful for kick panels 😏 I’m just relocating my pedals over an inch or so to make some extra room 😎

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hi all

I'm in the planning stages of a system for a BMW i have on order. Ive ordered the car with the base audio (i had no choice) and as such it has no tweeters. I'm going to add tweeters and run active. My initial plan was to buy the HK tweeter housings, but when i i saw the cost to buy all the parts to do it, i was put off. The plastic sections are about £80 each, and the tiny grills are £50 each. Replacement plain ones are approx £30 each, so i then decided id buy some plain trims, and modify them, i can then refit the original ones back into the car.

so the plain trims look like this:
View attachment 311411

View attachment 311412

And i had decided to try the Seas 27TFFNC/G Tweeter and mount them in these trims. The outer diameter of the tweeter mount is 53mm, so i should just be able to mount them on the flat section before the curve and do a neat job of it.

Then i wondered if i might try and find some of the HK trims from a crashed car and use those. The HK mounts look like this:
View attachment 311413
View attachment 311414
View attachment 311415

It does look as if the tweeters are angled slightly within the housing, but i cant be sure. It would look more OEM though. It does mean i'm back to square one on my tweeters, but there should be plenty of options that i can get to fit in there.

The seas being surface mounted, would stick out into the car more, and might get better dispersion perhaps?

What would you do and why?

Thanks
Have a look on eBay for new items, my friend got 66 quids worth of sail panels for 33 delivered, brand new genuine parts

I will say while the tweeters angle isn’t bad we had to adjust hers to improve the image somewhat…

it does look nice with factory grills, but I would just modify the sail panels anyway, why worry about the after life? Are you planning on getting rid? If it’s a new car, by the time you get round to selling it there’s likely a fair few smashed up in breakers anyway, replace down the line if it bothers you 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Y'all get BMWs with a cloth interior?

I'd do the HK mounts as well. I figure BMW spent the money to get them aimed properly, they could have put them anywhere or direction they wanted, and chose that for a reason. Plus it looks better.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Y'all get BMWs with a cloth interior?

I'd do the HK mounts as well. I figure BMW spent the money to get them aimed properly, they could have put them anywhere or direction they wanted, and chose that for a reason. Plus it looks better.
You over estimate how much effort goes into them… any efforts should have gone into making them sound half as good as a cheap aftermarket system. They aren’t a nice sounding setup in the first place 😏

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You over estimate how much effort goes into them… any efforts should have gone into making them sound half as good as a cheap aftermarket system. They aren’t a nice sounding setup in the first place 😏
The HK system in my mini r53 sounded way better than a cheap aftermarket system. It wasn't mind blowing, but it sounded really good.

Actually, that was a really good car, lol.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'd get your tweeters as far forward as possible. The sail panels SUCK for imaging, unless you plan to add delay.

I'm grappling with my soundstage as we speak, in an E38 7 series. The ribbon tweeters I planned to install sounded amazing on the A pillars, but were overpowering the mid/midbass pretty badly.

I'm adding some tweeters to the A pillars, almost at the dash, angled across to the opposite listener. I like the way that setup works from both front seats.

I also like the tweeters and a 3" mid in each kick panel, but there's little to no room in an E38 for airspace for the mids. The stage is still surprisingly high over the dash with the speakers angled properly from the kicks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts