DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I have a f30 that I have been trying to build a sq car with, I have all AudioFrog drivers with the exception of the underseat 8s, car sounds great except for the 8s, I have experimented with the earthquake sws, the quarts, hertz shallow 8s, the helix e8w, and just recently tried the fosgate bmw t3, all of them suck!!!, I am using them from 90 to 200hz with a L.R. 24db/oct slope, amp is a focal fcp4160. Can someone recommend a driver that will actually work in that ridiculously small vented enclosure?? I have made custom sealed boxes for under the seat but can only get .17 cubic feet so that's not much better. Any advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just installed a pair of Bavsound Ghost's two weeks ago in my E70, and so far I like them. Perfect plug and play solution, designed for use in the OEM housing. Focal, Gladen, Jehnert and Eton also make options.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
A local vendor suggested the Eton 150 USB or 195 NEO. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to hear them myself.

If you're using them at 90-200hz, many of your listed subs should've been fine. Could you explain what it was that you didn't like for those options?

(I'm also curious as I'm exploring what would be the best option for my underseats as well for my F34 build)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
None of them will blow your socks off... it's just a shitty location for a speaker.
I wish BMW would have just gone with a lower door mounted 6.5" or 8".

I tried a few different ones (most mentioned above), and settled on the Jehnert XE-200's.
They are designed to be a midbass (not a sub), and are rated at 7ohm.
I have them crossed from 80Hz / 24dB to 200Hz / 12dB.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Well first things first, what about them sucks? not enough output? dont play low enough? unpleasant response? etc. we cant help you unless we know what the actual issue is

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Jehnert XE-200’s are recommended by MusicarNW.
My e92 sounds amazing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was going to suggest the Jehnert XE-200's since you already tried the SWS-8Xi's. I have the SWS-8Xi's in my M2 and I actually like them. They are rated at 2 ohms and my Match UP 7BMW amp is feeding them 160w. I have them playing 80-300hz.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
You are looking at $5-600 for a pair if drop-in's regardless of brand. The Bavsound Ghost's come in 2, 4 and 8 ohm's depending on what time want/need.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well first things first, what about them sucks? not enough output? dont play low enough? unpleasant response? etc. we cant help you unless we know what the actual issue is
very low midbass output, muffled and very distorted with any volume, sound terrible at all times.... I have checked the specs and these rockfords are almost identical to the eton 150 speakers..
My other sq car had peerless 6.5 830855 midbass and they hammer at all volume levels.. never a lack of midbass, That's what iam looking for.. clear accurate midbass at low med and high volume.. all my music is ozzys boneyard, the hair nation and 80 on 8, so not a lot of sub information in the recordings but tons of midbass..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a similar car (F80) and indeed, it is very difficult to get good mid bass in this cabin.
I run mine (I forget what they are, Musicar NW installed them)at 80 / 250, LR4. It sounds decent. I am probably going to get back in there and seal the enclosure and put down some dynamat equivalent and see what differences that makes.

·
2,102 Posts
very low midbass output, muffled and very distorted with any volume, sound terrible at all times.... I have checked the specs and these rockfords are almost identical to the eton 150 speakers..
My other sq car had peerless 6.5 830855 midbass and they hammer at all volume levels.. never a lack of midbass, That's what iam looking for.. clear accurate midbass at low med and high volume.. all my music is ozzys boneyard, the hair nation and 80 on 8, so not a lot of sub information in the recordings but tons of midbass..
Being that you have gone through almost all of the options available, is it possible that there is something else wrong and it's not the drivers or locations? I've built plenty of those cars, and have not run into the issues that you are.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why oh why have you sealed the enclosure? That’s tiny especially for an 8” driver, I’d vent it outside IB or into the sill if possible so the back wave gets lost... the speakers you’ve listed are all competent so I’d be looking at installation flaws rather than a driver one

Ps going ported would require an even bigger enclosure, you won’t gain any low end for a port in that size enclosure!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Being that you have gone through almost all of the options available, is it possible that there is something else wrong and it's not the drivers or locations? I've built plenty of those cars, and have not run into the issues that you are.
based on your builds, what do you observe as the best option for an underseat midbass driver in the below scenarios?

A: with dedicated subwoofer in trunk
B: without dedicated subwoofer in trunk

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Everything needs a subwoofer.

EVERYTHING!!!

·
2,102 Posts
based on your builds, what do you observe as the best option for an underseat midbass driver in the below scenarios?

A: with dedicated subwoofer in trunk
B: without dedicated subwoofer in trunk
What i used to use was the following.

A: Either the Gladen BMW 3 ohm option, or the Jehnert
B: Gladen Extreme BMW 2 ohm option

Both I, and my customers, we happy at the end of the day. I haven't had a chance to play the the Eton or our option yet. Guess I should buy that M5 i've always wanted, HAHA.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Dayton audio shallow dvc 10 sub in .5cubic ft box in trunk. its ok, gonna swap it for a Audiomobile 10. or if Kermie ever comes out with a 10 that will work in that small of a sealed box, I will go A.F. as always...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Why oh why have you sealed the enclosure? That’s tiny especially for an 8” driver, I’d vent it outside IB or into the sill if possible so the back wave gets lost... the speakers you’ve listed are all competent so I’d be looking at installation flaws rather than a driver one

Ps going ported would require an even bigger enclosure, you won’t gain any low end for a port in that size enclosure!
Bingo! If you feel adventurous, and you want to get the best out of the application, you MUST vent to the outside. The OEM enclosure is 0.1 cf with a small connector port to the car side sill, which all acts like a leaky small enclosure and severely limits the output of the driver. I had Morel CW-8 and HCW-10s in my e90, and the 10s vented to the outside did the trick. At one time I was also considering the Dynaudio/Volvo 8s but never got around to it. Legatia 8se did not fit without raising the seats, which I did not want to do. I think Buwalda put the 6se under his 5 series seats...

·
Registered
713 Posts
How much space do you have? Why don't you try to fiberglass a bigger enclosure and port it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts