DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked with DIYMA/admin earlier and he said ok to post a link to another site. Here's the page/link to my basic install...
click-> Eton Component Speakers and Subs - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

I thought you guys might find it interesting since we all like making/looking at boxes and all the fun stuff lol. The main pieces are two pairs of Eton B100N component speakers, Sony XM-GS100 amp, JL Audio 13TW5V2-2 subwoofer and a Streetwires ZN1-1FC cap. If any questions/issues, just hit me on this page here (or there)... (yeah, no more LED/neon lights this time around ha ha)
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Just looked over your work, very well executed and extremely low key which I for one prefer. Are you at some point going to add more, or are you content at this stage of the build ?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Coppertone, thanks!
yeah i'm very happy with it already and currently do not have any plan to add more stuff.

Well... besides that... I really can't go into the garage to do more car audio stuff or the boss here will get really mad:) It has to be some other unrelated/new projects or she's start picking on my timeline, messed-up schedule and i'll instantly get a bad review lol !!

I'm waiting for the UPS truck to show up with 2 packages today (different projects and she's not home right now to audit anything ha ha) :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
very high quality work and meticulous planing!! Nicely done. Many folks would think that its a factory option.

Can you elaborate on the paint finish on the box/mdf?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Sydmonster!

The paint process goes like this...
- paint-brushed several thin layers of flat black paint. This is to make it black/opaque in case I miss any spray spots later:)
- sprayed some Krylon 'Make it Stone". The color/texture is called Obsidian. Also several thin layers of this, each time from a different angle, and then allowing it to dry.
- then finished with several thin layers of clear coat.
(all together there's about a dozen thin layers.)

The spray stuff was done outdoors, and with a respirator (nose/face mask). After each layer, I turned on 2 table fans to air these parts so that they dry faster.... then to the next layer and so on...
(The other flat black is for the L-brackets.)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ha ha yeah it looks kinda neat. eh. I thought you guys all have seen this paint before. It has been around for maybe 10 years or more. The first time I used it was for a home sub box. Lately it's kinda difficult to find it. I had to search around and found it again at Michaels, an arts/crafts store. Home Depot doesn't have it (they do the Rust-oleum brand and have other type of colors/texture but it's not the dark one like this obsidian color/texture).

Anyways this is one of those strange paints. From 10 ft or further away it looks overall dark grayish. Then we get closer and suddenly realize it has many white spots like a skin problem lol! This one looks shinny because of the clear coat. Without the clear coat it's a little dull/flat but may not last long if we rub against it too often. I might get another can for another project this weekend/soon (too cold to cut/paint stuff today).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small mod/update: There’s a slight thump sound when switching off. If we go by the book, any unwanted noise means lots and lots of points deduction lol other than driving me crazy!! :D So I ran the high-level sound into a PAC LOC Pro LP7-2 module and it solved the problem. It has some components in there to block/isolate the DC current that causes the shut-down thump. I found a nice spot under the amp to secure it and it’s well hidden from the top/outside view. It’s now quiet when powering down (also quiet powering up but this wasn’t an issue before this mod/update).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a couple of recent updates :). I stuffed these in a few weeks or months ago. I probably should put these info/pictures here while I still remember lol.
Here’s a recent pix of the vehicle.

Here’s the other end and what I occasionally have to pile on the stereo:)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally got around to add a pair of Eton B150USB underseat woofers (midbass). Here’s a top and bottom comparison between the factory stuff and the new Eton speakers. They make great quality stuff.

Here’s the speaker sitting in the BMW factory brackets, trimmed per their install guide….

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here’s the appropriate cable and connector for the speakers from Technic…

I didn’t have to take the front seats out. However I had to use some wood/MDF blocks and also some random stuff that I found in the garage just to prop the front seats up to get to the speakers hiding under there.

I discovered each speaker breathes into a cavity and then into “strange tunnel’ leading to the front of the vehicle. Not sure what it does / doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here’s the Eton DSP8CAN module. It’s a DSP with an 8-channel amplifier…

Hiding in there is an Analog Devices Blackfin processor and a TI BurrBrown chip…

The label at the bottom has some info….

Here’s a CAD drawing of the brackets and placement in the trunk area.

Here’s another CAD drawing of a plastic bracket on order. I actually had a slightly different design but did not like it. So, I just tweaked it and ordered a new one. It should arrive here in a week. This is just like a beauty panel thing. It goes over/around the metal brackets.

Here’s the metal brackets cut from a small electronics enclosure/box…

Here it is after spraying it black…

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here’s the wiring harness and accessories that came with the Eton DSP8CAN…

Here’s the optional USB programming cable. It’s sold separately, but the store gave it to me free with the purchase….

The software/utility screenshots are in the next few pictures. The Eton factory person emailed me the Master User version that has extra/unlocked features. The normal End User version downloaded from their website works too but has less selections/items. There’s a learning curve and then everything’s easy to configure and use. The parametric equalizer is very powerful, and each of the 8 channels have separate adjustments.

Here’s a set of cables from Technic . Very high quality too! The red/black cable on the right is for the midbass under the seats (saw that in another pix earlier/above).

Here’s a closer look at the quadlock connecter and a small a fiber/MOST connector/adapter from Technic.

All the cables used in this install are wrapped in protective sleeves...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had to take apart the center area of the dash to get the radio out. This is to fit the Technic cable set in there.

Here’s the DSP8CAN in the rear-left corner. After some setup and tuning it works great! I’m more than happy!

(More stuff coming up in a week after I return home (or a few weeks))
Bye!

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Nice work! Interested in that Eton processor. Does the software have a demo mode? I might like to play with it a little. I've recently had a couple of Range Rovers in that I could see that thing being REAL useful in.

Now all we need is one of those that takes MOST bus directly in. lol

Jay

1 - 20 of 51 Posts