DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for advice on improving the sound in my Searay 22' bowrider.
I currently have a Kenwood KMR-D558 HU with 4 Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers in the cockpit area.
Kenwood KMR-D558BT Marine CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Infinity 612M (Pewter) 6-1/2" 2-way marine speakers at Crutchfield.com

I would like to add a sub, a pair of bow speakers and amp hopefully using some components I currently have.
I have a sealed MTX Thunder 6000 10" sub in a .75 cf box (50 to 250 RMS) and a punch 400.4 a4 amp. I will need to add another amp (perhaps a Polk Audio PAD4000.4)

The layout of the boat is shown in the pdf.
The driest place to mount the amp would be in the enclosed compartment in front of the drivers seat but this area would get too hot without adding ventilation and is a long way from the batteries. The other location could be under the flip up sun pad at the back, could get warm there with the engine nearby.
For the sub, I was thinking about the area under the ice chest in front of the observers feet. The box I have fits in there if it's raised a few inches off the floor? Not sure what affect that would have.
Bow speakers mounted on the curved section near where the front and side seats meet.

Would it be worth it to run the sub and one set of cabin speakers off the amp in the mean time and run the back and bow speakers off the head unit?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
The enclosed area should be plenty fine (seeing that you're in BC) -I have JL non-digital amps in my engine bay without issue - and that's in 120 degree Lake Havasu weather. Sub in front of the passenger footwell will work, how about below the rear seat bases? Optional could be within the engine bay and port to the outside, but it looks like you have doghouse vs. platform. If possible, position your speakers as high as possible if you plan on listening when you're outside the boat. Amazes me how loud my boat is when your in it, but just on the other side is 1/4 volume.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The enclosed area should be plenty fine (seeing that you're in BC) -I have JL non-digital amps in my engine bay without issue - and that's in 120 degree Lake Havasu weather. Sub in front of the passenger footwell will work, how about below the rear seat bases? Optional could be within the engine bay and port to the outside, but it looks like you have doghouse vs. platform. If possible, position your speakers as high as possible if you plan on listening when you're outside the boat. Amazes me how loud my boat is when your in it, but just on the other side is 1/4 volume.
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to go with mounting the amps in the rear compartment close to the battery. The rear seats do not have bases, its just a removable seat cushion that can be moved higher to create a sun platform.

The noob questions I have is if I use the Punch 400.4 to drive the sub and middle speakers, then run a pass through to the JBL GTO755.6 using only 4 of the channels to run the bow and rear speakers will I have fader conrol between bow and rear. The JBL does not have aux outputs.
What would be the best way to configure this? I will replace the JBL with a 4 channel amp in the near future

1 - 3 of 3 Posts