DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter I plan to update the audio system (and add visual systems) to a 2000 Sea Ray 270DA boat. It currently has a Clarion M3170 with a CD changer. I have not checked yet on which amp is being used. Currently there are 2 speakers in the cabin and 4 in the cockpit of the boat. There is a wired remote control at the helm.

I am planning on adding TV, DVD player, a subwoofer to the cockpit, ability to control an iphone. I am going to add my XM xpress RCI to the system. (I currently move this from the house to another boat that I have). I have already bought a TV which will fit at the vee berth mirror - the vizio m261vp otherwise I have not bought any gear for this project.

M261VP | VIZIO

I have started a thread at Clubsearay.com here:

270 TV install and stereo upgrade

I have been getting some help from the sea ray forum but I thought you guys would provide more insight and suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

I've included pictures of what it currently looks like below.

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess not a lot of people with boat ideas on here. Ok, how about pretend it is an RV? ha,ha. Anyway, if you want to see my progress you can check the link above as I muddle through this over the winter.

John

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you familiar with car installs? Boats are not hard to if you have a little car experience. Don't forget that for an amplifier you need to get about a 4 gauge power AND ground cable to the battery.

I would start with a good amplifier. Something that is 75w per channel or more. Then I would replace the cabin speakers with a good pair of passive separates. That will improve musical detail in the cabin. A 5-channel amplifier would be appropriate. Channels 1+2 would play the cabin speakers, 3+4 would play all 4 cockpit speakers, both lefts on 3 and both rights on 4. And the 5th channel would play your subs for you. I would recommend something with at least 2-300 watts for the subs.

In the cockpit area I would replace the speakers with something that can handle more power. These should have rubber surrounds and polypropylene cones, or other similar materials that are UV and moisture resistant.

Don't be trapped by "Marine" components. A good car speaker will withstand the marine environment if it is installed properly.

An interesting idea for bass is to install bazooka tubes in the front sections of the hull...one on port and one on starboard side. I did one install this way and it came out very nice. Sometimes there is a void in the hull wall where these can fit. If this is not possible I would build a custom box for at least two 10's or one or two 12's under the seating compartment in the cabin. Don't worry about subs in the cockpit, these will take care of that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am testing with this post. I thought I had posted previously a long post but it never showed up. Either I am doing something wrong posting or the moderators do not approve of my posts. Maybe once I get 5 posts up I will be all good to post more promptly.

John

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Try to stick with a ported or IB setup for your subs, small sealed enclosures really fall off in a boat....good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am familiar with car stereo installs somewhat. I have replaced head units, speakers, added amps and sub-woofers. I have gotten a lot better at using my multimeter. I have not used processors, built custom enclosures, etc.

I am not hung up on "marine" hardware. Most equipment will be protected in the cabin. Only the sub and cockpit speakers will be exposed. Marine equipment does though come with wired remotes pretty standard which is hard to come by with typical car head units.

I was planning on using a 5 channel amp as suggested such as the JL Audio XD700/5 or Alpine MRX-V60.

What has me stumbling most right now in my planning is deciding to use a single head unit that has all wanted features like DVD included, or to use a head unit (that has AM/FM/ipod/sat) and a separate DVD unit to allow a dual zone configuration. If I get an all in one unit I am somewhat limited if I want a wired remote. So far I have come across the Clarion CMV1, Fusion Audio MS-AV600, and Jenson AWM-975. I know that Jenson does not have a great reputation but there unit has everything in one package including HDMI out and a RF remote also. The TV in the boat is a 26 inch HD unit so HDMI would be nice.

The other issue with this installation is it needs to be as user friendly to operate as possible. If my wife and kids cannot operate it without my help or the owners manual handy then it wont work.

Thanks for any advice.

John

I had planned on IB for the subs BTW. I read on the forum that all of the Image Dynamic Subs should be IB compatible but in their literature all I find is mention of enclosure types. Kenwood and JL both have IB "marine" subs available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts