DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boat that I am putting a system in. It will have two amps and a head unit that I will need to power. Having never done a system in a boat I'm not sure on the ground. Do I just run a power and ground directly to and from the battery? Is that the safest / best way to do this?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes that is usually the best way. Couple of questions:

What type of amps are they? Regulated or unregulated?
What sort of battery supply do you have? And where are they located? You have to take into account voltage drop etc if you need a long run back to the battery.
If the boat is fibreglass or a non conductive material, this is really your only option. Alloy boats you can ground directly to the boat, like a car, but it is still not ideal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The amps are Polk Audio PA660 and PA880. The amps are marine rated and not too expensive when you buy them used is why I chose to go with Polk. The boat is Fiberglass. The battery is in the back of the boat next to the engine. It is an inboard / outboard. I am hoping to keep the power and ground runs under 6 feet. Is a good 4 gauge wire sufficient or do I need to jump to 0 gauge?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The amps are Polk Audio PA660 and PA880. The amps are marine rated and not too expensive when you buy them used is why I chose to go with Polk. The boat is Fiberglass. The battery is in the back of the boat next to the engine. It is an inboard / outboard. I am hoping to keep the power and ground runs under 6 feet. Is a good 4 gauge wire sufficient or do I need to jump to 0 gauge?
Keep in mind that your circuit total length will be equal to pos + neg circuit length. Since in boats we don't have/use the chassis as common neg bus

Google the ABYC marine cable amapacity chart

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
You could also run a 0 or 00 ground and run two 4s and some 8ga.
That may be best of you are using circuit breakers for each.
I would probably run the head unit and smaller amp off of one circuit, and if the other is a sub have that separate. Then you can also dependably have them shut off.

The Bluesea gear is good I have two of the dual pot USB chargers and they work great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts