DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping for some advice on putting together a system for a 21' closed bow ski boat. I want to make it as efficient as possible to minimize battery drain. The system will be removed for the fall/winter, but will see a bit of moisture. It will be under the dash, where it can't get splashed, and aim to the rear of the open interior.

I would like to use ribbon tweeters, in a two way set up, but I'm a little conserned about dispersion. I want to be able to play loud and clean if possible. I have a PG zx450, and an Alpine 7833. I could maybe just run it off the deck. I would buy something else if needed.

I could add a sub later.

I have the following sitting around. Thinking of using the Focal 10v with a ribbon tweeter. But can mix and match anything. What I don't use will go into a car.

If I buy a ribbon tweeter, would like to keep the price at about $200/pr, but will spend more if it will make a big difference.

Here is what I have:

Hiquphon OW II
Focal 5V 4411

Focal 10v6411 I bought this from NABBOY at elitecaraudio who said it will be smooth from 30hz - 2.5 khz
CONE TYPE: Polyglass
SIZE: 10in
2.83v/1m: 93.1db
WATTS: 100
Z: 6ohms
FS: 32.9hz
VAS: 116.9ltr
Qts: .38
Xmax: +/-3.5mm

I appreciate any assistance.

Tom

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm not too sure if it's a big step going from OWII to a ribbon, esp if you'll be out in the water.

I'd consider a pair of horns instead (for its efficiency and the compression drivers won't be damage easily due to moisture).

·
Registered
989 Posts
Horns would definitely be a good option for how loud they get, and you'd probably have the room for them. Only thing is that they are quite expensive and will not fit within your budget.

I was just out on the River this weekend and the stereo defintiely gets drowned out easily(no pun intended lol)

Ribbons definitly are nice for their lower power requirements. The fountek neoCD3's will fit under your budget.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I would be interested in using horns, there is lots of room for them. I can raise the budget, but I know very little about them. What would be a decent but lower cost horn system. Do you guys think the Focal 10v at 93 db would integrate with horns, which I think are about 100db efficient. I would crossover actively, and I suppose I could just adjust the gain on the amp.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
since the boat will be different from the car, I'd say that it migth be okay to go with DIY home horns and whatever compression drivers they have. IF you really care for imaging ( i think it's really overrated), get a used pair of full body ID horn bodies and slap on some B&Cs.

You shouldnt have to worry about gains if going all active.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you have lots of room, than I can think of one not terribly expensive but absolutely brilliant horn solution: a BMS 4590P dual concentric (2"/1" ring radiators) on a real horn (i.e. not one of the ones sold for car audio.)
In a boat, a 60x60 or even 40x40 constant directivity horn would probably work really well, and depending on the size of the horn's mouth could reliabily go down as low as 600Hz with incredibly low distortion. Even if you buying the horns instead of building them, the total would be under $1000 for a pair from assistanceaudio.com.

The BMS 4590P was the heart of the single best audio system I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot of elite systems. If 21"-wide 90x40 constant directivity horns wouldn't completely spoil the mood of my listening room, I would be using them instead of my current path of building a system around a pair of 8" Tannoy dual concentrics ripped out of a studio monitor.

Alas, with only 3.5mm xmax, there's no way those Focal woofers will give you anything below 50Hz or so in a moving boat. A big, weather-resistant pro audio woofer from B&C, BMS, Beyma, Ciare, McCauley, or Eminence would be a better match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.