DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Here's a recent acquisition of mine. Gretchen, the '96 Dodge 1/2 ton.

I'm installing a Sony head, JL Slash amps, Hybrid Legatia speakers, and DD 8" subs.

Box comes first. (2) DD 1508's at 2.2ft3 tuned to 34hz.

I'm keeping it really simple, no molding into any trim or anything.

STP Gold deadener

3" PVC for ports. This box is tuned at the advice of Ray West - a serious SPL guy.

Gooped up good. I did put a brace in the middle, by the way.

Nice even glue dripping. I hate caulking the back seam, and on this box it would be impossible. I opted for a buttload of wood glue instead of gorilla.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This box is screwed along the side edges. This is the first box I've screwed together since I was 17 and got a compressor and nail gun.... I did it because I want to put a pretty large radius on the sides and not risk screwing up my honking router bit. Those puppies aren't cheap.

Plaster for the shape. I'm sick of slaving away on bondo..... well actually I just had all day to tinker on 3 different things, so I figured I had the time to wait for plaster to dry and I could take advantage of it's ease of sanding. It's plenty tough for this job.

Seat all the way back

Scooted up where I actually drive this thing. I sit farther forward than usual because of the long clutch travel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered doing these end caps several different ways, with several different shapes, but here's what I did. I rounded all the edges, but kept the insert corners sharp. top and bottom of the box are 3/4" radius, sides are actually a 1-1/4" radius but not with the bit all the way down. I think it will look pretty cool.

I was also going to do the port insert later, but figured I'd just hog it out and fill it all up/in when the insert is removed. I'll level out the side with the ports quite a ways. It's coming along nicely but leaving my shop in the biggest cloud of dust I've had in a long time. Not since I was sanding plaster with my 8" rotary on the display.

The ridiculous cloud of dust.

In retrospect, the plaster wasn't even close to strong enough for this aggressive of an insert, So i knocked the end caps off and redid the profiles with duraglass.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't help it, had to shoot some primer. I'll get the last bit of filler on there and have it blocked out and wrapped up as soon as I can....

I blasted them with Urethane primer today. I had some sitting around thickening up.... figured I'd use it to black out the box.

I'm not going to wrap it until I have the console built and the transitions figured out.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ketchikan? WTH? How may audio folks are there in Kkan?

I get to Anchorage and Juneau often..... and never figure I will encounter what you just posted in the latter.

Nice work :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
very nice and detailed work on that box

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
What kind of plaster did you use?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow...nice work
very nice and detailed work on that box
Thanks

Hi LB :D

Ketchikan? WTH? How may audio folks are there in Kkan?

I get to Anchorage and Juneau often..... and never figure I will encounter what you just posted in the latter.

Nice work :)
What brings you through AK? There aren't a lot of hardcore guys in this town - maybe 3?..... My customers and myself. We're the only audio shop in the area, and the only one that has started up and survived in the past 20 years.

What kind of plaster did you use?
Hot Mud. I've got Silverset 5, 20, and 90. It's great stuff, but has it's limitations. I use it for shaping fiberglass boxes before more glass goes down. it's best for that. sands like butta.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hot Mud. I've got Silverset 5, 20, and 90. It's great stuff, but has it's limitations. I use it for shaping fiberglass boxes before more glass goes down. it's best for that. sands like butta.
I would imagine it would crack or fall off with vibrations (expecially on an enclosure). Do you use reinforcement tape between layers or no tape at all? I also imagine you do it in layers not all one lump chunk?

Sorry but I hang drywall in commercial and just can't imagine hot mud working on an enclosure. But want to give it a try. I've use bondo before but never hot mud.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would imagine it would crack or fall off with vibrations (expecially on an enclosure). Do you use reinforcement tape between layers or no tape at all? I also imagine you do it in layers not all one lump chunk?

Sorry but I hang drywall in commercial and just can't imagine hot mud working on an enclosure. But want to give it a try. I've use bondo before but never hot mud.
I hear ya. It's not for every application, that's for sure. It's just easier to sand than plastic filler. Have you ever had a thin piece of non-reinforced bondo sitting out? it's quite brittle. Stronger than plaster sure, but much harder to sand.

If your enclosure walls are flexing enough for plaster to crack, you're not building it right :cool:

Like I said, I mainly use it for shaping, sandwiched between layers of glass. This started with my hatred of 'volcano' boxes. I sometimes use cloth for an enclosure, resin it, glass a couple layers, foam and/or plaster for the actual shape i want, more glass, filler and done.

IE

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i love seeing your builds bob! hows the new shop building (well not so new now) doing?
thanks

I don't recognize your username.....

The new shop's working out pretty well. I have my complaints about the landlord, and the building does have some serious issues, but I can't complain about business.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I've actually followed you from another forum, we've emailed back and forth about custom pannels you did for a tahoe that I wanted to replicate, and you showed me the rest of the build pics for it on Photobucket. I actually have the same user name on the other forum too....any how its good to see you here. Keep up the awesome work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What brings you through AK? There aren't a lot of hardcore guys in this town - maybe 3?....
I'm a regional mgr for a decent size retailer up there....you may actually have something from our place (I hope). Rhymes with Costco :)

I will say again- nice work!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spent a couple hours and started on my doors

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sealing up the doors.

Mat, cloth, mat, cloth, mat - 16.5 oz total.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Are you going to add acoustical foam directly behind the speaker?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts