DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend something to bolt the rear deck cover the fukk down?

I know how it'll work, just don't know what product to use so it looks good up there.
Basic idea is this:
1. Lay a piece of metal (flat metal bar) on top of rear deck cover (plastic/carpet you see from the cabin).
2. drill 2-3 holes in that piece of metal and thru rear deck cover AND rear deck itself (metal)
3. drop 2-3 bolts down and tighten them up with washers/nuts from the bottom which in this case is from the inside of the trunk.
4. cover that metal piece with something nice, preferably black to match the rest of the cover.

Step #1 and 2 isn't exactly how it'll be done but you get the idea.

Suggestions for that metal bar and beauty cover is what I’m looking for. I guess you can describe it as office light fixture - a piece of metal that you drill into the ceiling/beam/whatever and then clear beauty plastic simply clicks on to it hiding all the "raw" materials like bulbs, screws, ballasts....

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
what are you trying to accomplish? just hold the rear deck down better? it is vibrating?

what you are talking about will never look good if you just take a piece of bar bolt it to the rear deck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100% rattle-free is what i'm after. I've already layed layers and layers on Damp Pro, BTX2, closed cell foam, addition stock carpeting, even blocked off ventilation holes on the rear deck which helped a lot but not 100%. There's still small rattles i can hear when song quiets down while bass is getting louder. That's when you can hear small rattles and the whole "cross your sub at 60Hz and make sure it doesn't feel like it's in the trunk " thing goes out of the window. You can't hear bass coming from the rear but the moment you hear that rattle your brains tells you where the sub is.

I tried those few songs while pressing the rear deck cover down with my fingers and it solves the issue which leads me to this option.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
cosmetically you would be better off rebuilding the rear deck cover. tear up the old one make a new one out of MDF or plywood. then put carriage bolts in it(to bolt it to the car) before covering it with new carpet.

if you really want to go with the other method, then biuld a brace out of metal, MDF, solid wood, etc. shape it to the contour of the back window and rear deck. countersink holes and put carriage bolts in the brace. then plug the holes with body filler, wood, whatever. then bolt it down. that shouldnt look bad.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For making it look good part - one could use speaker grills for this. Bolt the lower part down thru all the decks and then simply lay grill's mesh on top just like you wound if you had a spekaer in there..... too bad i can't use that method since my rear deck cover looks like this:

Also it doesn't even have to be a bar, i can easily get away with just bolts alone.
You know how back in the days (and probably now too) headbangers used to all have metal spikes on their hats? That was nothing more then 2 pieces - a spike with threaded hole and a bolt. You drilled/poked a hole thru your hat/wristband and simply scred that bolt into the spike.
Now i'm not looking for spikes haha but just throwing it out there as an idea.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
does it stop vibrating more at the front of the cover or the rear? if it is front, maybe you can use those latch system covers to hide the bolts?

if not, this will be the easiest, having seen it now. buy or make metal peices. (simple aluminum billet) you can paint em black or cover them in leather, carpet, grill cloth, etc. make the peices about 1" high.(what shape you like that will blend in ) tap the peices from the back for a 1/4-24 thread, about 3/4" or so in. then drill and screw in bolts from the backside(in the trunk) 1/4-24 should have way more holding strength than you need and you wont have to hide bolt heads.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dead in the middle is where it rattles so having my "bar" as pictured is what i'm looking to do. Again, does even have to be a bar, could be just a few "headbanger spikes"-type things on that same line. I like you idea of bolts "upside down" into the pre-threaded bar btw, will def concider it.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Dead in the middle is where it rattles so having my "bar" as pictured is what i'm looking to do. Again, does even have to be a bar, could be just a few "headbanger spikes"-type things on that same line. I like you idea of bolts "upside down" into the pre-threaded bar btw, will def concider it.
it will be alot cleaner that way. for that location, should be pretty easy to make something you wont even know isnt stock. shape the "bar" into a trapazoid or get triangle stock. once you cover it with similar carpet, it will look slick.

if you have never tapped holes before, just remember to get some cutting oil. most taps come with the correct drill size for 80% threads. make sure you get a bottom tap and not taper tap.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You sure it’s not the back edge vibrating against the window? Had that problem in my car, fixed it by taping insulating foam to the edge of the rear deck. I think it may have been speaker gasket tape.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll double check now that u've said it but i'm 99.99% sure it's the middle rectangular grill. When i press the deck down with my fingers right where that grey line is all rattles stop.

·
Registered
307 Posts
why place it on the top at all? gorilla glue is your friend. just counterbore a hole through a wood block. install an insert. match holes to rear deck sheet metal. add fasteners. follow instructions on gorilla glue. replace cover. add weight for a few hours.

i missed a step or two, but you get the point. and you will never see the thing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure I understand. Are you talking about gluing wood pieces to the bottom of the cover and basically securing them to the rear deck with screws/bolts underneath?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I think that is what he is saying. it might work as long as a couple things exsist.

1) the gorilla glue will stick the underside of the rear deck (it sticks good to alot of stuff, but some thing it dont stick to at all)
2) you dont have to screw it down with more force than the glue can hold.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If you want it to look clean, you could always get those plastic screw-head covers. The ones they carry at Lowes or Home Depot are small, but you could use several in a line. If you go this route, you will have to use like a #8 machine screw. But use fender washers below the cover to fill the gap and use fender washers on the bottom side before the nut. It will increase the surface area of the bond at each bolt.

BTW, I have the exact same problem and that is what I'm planning on trying next. Mine is shaped the same as yours and rattles in the exact same place (it isn't at the glass like previously mentioned). I actually fiberglassed the bottom of my factory decklid to try and stiffen it and put foam below it. Made things better, but it still rattles at full-tilt. Your car isn't a Nissan by chance is it?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
ha ha, actual his is a nissan, lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, Nissan Altima.
This rear deck is from Hybrid Altima, i juts like the look a lot better and it's 100% fit

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yes, Nissan Altima.
This rear deck is from Hybrid Altima, i juts like the look a lot better and it's 100% fit
You can try my method then. I truly think it will work well. You don't want to "pinch" the decklid too much, so I would use washers to space most of the gap (leave it one washer short to pull the decklid down tight, but not pinch it down in the middle). There is an easy way to do this.

Poke a needle through the decklid and push down until it hits the metal. Mark the needle. Pull it back out and measure the length minus the thickness of the panel of itself. That is the space you have between the cover and the metal. After you drill your holes, glue the washers to the bottom of the panel so you aren't trying to line them up blind.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Bolt one of these on lol

You can glue spacers on with studs that bolt down, put some foam if any other parts vibrate against the deck metal. Not sure how else you do it without some ugly fasteners sticking out unless you don't care.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^ wtf is that? lol

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
ROFL, I totally had one of those..............they did not work for nothing!

it is a heater/fan for your windshield. you plug it in the cigarette lighter plug and it has a little squirrel cage fan and heating element.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts