DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, its that time in my install progress.
I have L brackets or i have threaded inserts. I'm hella nervous about drilling into my sub box because its so pretty but i will follow ya'lls advice.

I have ~700w rms going to the TDX10 in a 1ft³ box
Trunk wall brackets are riveted/#6x3/4" screwed

Options:
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Gas Asphalt

I have different sizes of the threaded inserts as well. This is just an example

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Box. 3/4" birch
Wood Gas Fender Metal Hardwood

Trunk
Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk

• Love
Reactions: LowBassSubs

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! if you want to get a better look, its in my build thread

Noone has advice as to which would be better? Bolts and inserts into the box or L brackets?

Reactions: LowBassSubs

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't think of a better way to word the question

My idea with the inserts was to put them into the box and cut some recesses in the cabinside of my amp wall (1 1/2" thick composite board) and "countersink" the bolt heads.
Or should i run the bolts from inside the subbox into the wall?

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then the question, is there an audible difference between upfiring the sub or shooting it at my trunk lid?

· Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
2,696 Posts
I don't like permanently securing my subs because I swap them frequently. I'm also scared of leaky sealed boxes so I rather not screw into it more than I have to. So I use non slip furniture pads. They work wonderfully to keep the sub box from moving.

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanted to secure the box because i do "track" my car....if you get my drift. This also means i can't tuck it into a corner.
If i fire it toward the trunklid it will definitely need to be bolted in because of the weight of the sub.........

A previous dryfitting
Wood Gas Tints and shades Metal Fixture

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen a few people say that this thing hits. I might HAVE to fire it back because i can't pull my rear dash cover. There is a T50 on each side that holds in the rear corner seat belts and the dash. Issue is there is absolutely no room to get anything but a L-shaped torx in there thanks to the rear window being RIGHT THERE. I've been wanting to remove my rear seatbelts ever since i put in the X brace. About to just cut the damn things

· Listener of Music
5,195 Posts
That's so tight you could probably just screw protected/covered L brackets (I use heavy duty heat shrink for this kinda thing) in to the rear deck. One on each side and rear. Pinch them tight against the box. You'll only need to remove one bracket to take the box out all while making no holes in the box.

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually like that idea. Good thing i check this at work :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Theslaking did some rough-ups and, call me bougie if you want, but it has a bit too much "industrial" look to it. Plus the shelf has a halfmoon cutout to get as much clearance as possible for the spare tire panel to be removed. The sub is ~25-30lb and the counterweight of the sub firing to the rear would require around a 2 1/2-3" leg (minimum) to hold down the rear of the box.
Its looking like tapping the box is becoming my only choice. I'll wait til i can grab another sheet of birch to remake the box before i start drilling.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior

· Registered
2005 mustang, v6
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well........My dumbass.

Went with the brackets. Build log updated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts