DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am running a VW factory HU and sending speaker-level signal to my DSP. Although this allows me to keep all factory functions (steering wheel controls, chimes, etc) I would also like to have a "pure listening" option straight from my phone using DAC to the optical in of the DSP.

I've done a test run using a cheaper DAC previously used in a tablet build, running straight to the DSP. Although it may just be the fault of the DAC, I couldn't seem to get enough volume to feed the DSP -- the resulting output was fairly weak. The DSP's main output level was maxed as well as the output from my phone.

Has anyone dealt with a similar issue before? Is there a way I could "boost" the output between DAC and DSP? I'd love to hear any solutions you may have.

Thanks!

· Registered
664 Posts
You could, but you'd be better off getting a better DAC. What DAC and DSP? The DSP should have the ability to adjust the input sensitivity, unless the DAC simply isn't putting out enough to meet it's minimum requirements... Look in the Input section of the DSP software to see if there is any ability to adjust there...

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could, but you'd be better off getting a better DAC. What DAC and DSP? The DSP should have the ability to adjust the input sensitivity, unless the DAC simply isn't putting out enough to meet it's minimum requirements... Look in the Input section of the DSP software to see if there is any ability to adjust there...
You're probably right about the DAC -- it's one of the little thumb drive-looking things from Amazon that I tried to use in a tablet build a while back. My DSP is a GZ 6-8X Pro -- when I get time I'll try to mess around with the input/output settings again.

I have been eyeing the Topping DACs and the FIIO BTA-30, as it has the ability to receive BT LDAC and also act as a wired DAC.

Thanks for the reply!

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a bluetooth device that can output SPDIF and feed the DAC with that. Can probably set it so as soon as the digital input is over silence it swicthes input
I'm HEAVILY considering that option at this point. My phone is LDAC capable, and a wireless connection would be so much simpler.

The FIIO BTA30 is high on my list. It's an LDAC receiver/transmitter and it can be used as a wired DAC as well.

· Registered
2,204 Posts
This looks like a great little unit to do a wired DAC connection -- I'm putting it on the list! Thanks!
I use this adapter to add power (and charging) for the phone/dac.

I can explain the wiring more if you like.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use this adapter to add power (and charging) for the phone/dac.

I can explain the wiring more if you like.
I actually used a device like this when I had a tablet setup, so I am familiar with the way it's wired. This is a very good suggestion though -- thanks!

· Registered
93 Posts
I feed my dsp an optical in that comes from topping bc3 which replaced an emotiva Bluetooth receiver. Both worked well, but required me to pair every time I got in the car. Well not a big deal is annoying to me. I should have just gotten one of the car versions like the mosconi amas or audison bitcoin, as those have remote on function I hat preserves the connect when you power on, eliminating the need to repair every time. I’m out 200 on these units -I could have just done the Moscone for 299 and been happier.
I actually used a device like this when I had a tablet setup, so I am familiar with the way it's wired. This is a very good suggestion though -- thanks!

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feed my dsp an optical in that comes from topping bc3 which replaced an emotiva Bluetooth receiver. Both worked well, but required me to pair every time I got in the car. Well not a big deal is annoying to me. I should have just gotten one of the car versions like the mosconi amas or audison bitcoin, as those have remote on function I hat preserves the connect when you power on, eliminating the need to repair every time. I’m out 200 on these units -I could have just done the Moscone for 299 and been happier.
I will check out the ones you mentioned -- I didn't even know Mosconi or Audison made these! Thanks!

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you not like the idea of running an external Digital bridge such as a Topping D10s? This would take the USB from your phone and convert to SPDIF (Optical and/or Coax) to feed your DSP?
Yes, this is actually the result I'll probably end up with, but my trial run with my existing DAC was lacking in overall output. I suspect that the output issues have to do with my cheap DAC, so the Topping is actually on my short list of units to try.

I was also considering the FIIO BTA30 for its ability to receive LDAC BT, plus it can be used as a conventional wired DAC as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.