DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
18,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The driver is a 10" OEM Bose subwoofer.
This driver came out of Charles' car (I'll let him tell you exact make/model). Thanks, Charles, for letting us test this woofer....

Full report attached via PDF.

Pictures:

T/S and Impedance:

•  Re = 0.4625 ohms
  •  Fs = 45.6971 Hz
  •  Zmax = 2.0756 ohms
  •  Qes = 1.2681
  •  Qms = 4.4224
  •  Qts = 0.9855
  •  Le = 0.1834 mH (at 1 kHz)
  •  Diam = 215.9000 mm ( 8.5000 in )
  •  Sd =36609.6161 mm^2( 56.7450 in^2)
  •  Vas = 66.5281 L ( 2.3494 ft^3)
  •  BL = 1.9067 N/A
  •  Mms = 34.7146 g
  •  Cms = 349.4218 uM/N
  •  Kms = 2861.8704 N/M
  •  Rms = 2.2538 R mechanical
  •  Efficiency = 0.4704 %
  •  Sensitivity= 88.7426 dB @1W/1m
  •  Sensitivity= 101.1220 dB @2.83Vrms/1m

Klippel Distortion Parameters:
  • X Bl @ Bl min=82% 5.3 mm
  • X C @ C min=75% 6.8 mm
Sample Klippel Data:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Bose does well engineering drivers to get the most performance for the least dollars.

I have measured a few things from Bose and they always exceed expectations.

Eric

·
18,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
nope.

the terminals are clearly marked.
you can also see the 'coil out' is on the right side. when a driver is wired up in the wrong polarity, the results will have the 'coil out' on the left half of the results window. Also, the klippel results alert you to this in the displacement results (it will literally say "Warning: Wrong Polarity" or something to that effect).
If you go back and look, you'll see the ae ib12 results show the driver was wired up backwards. It really doesn't affect the results, IME; just the way it's displayed.

I'm wondering if it's how the sub is designed. the magnet is on the front of the driver; above the cone. the spider is typically where the magnet of a driver would be. So, it may be that as the driver moves forward, it's moving in to the magnet and increasing inductance; as it moves rearward (in) it's moving away from the magnet and inductance lowers.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I'd say it has a surprising amount of throw for that kind of depth. Otherwise it's pretty mediocre, Q is too high, RE is too low and it seems to heat up quickly.

·
18,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd say it has a surprising amount of throw for that kind of depth. Otherwise it's pretty mediocre, Q is too high, RE is too low and it seems to heat up quickly.
that's exactly what I was talking about. Pretty much agree with you on everything else.

It seems that the higher the Q, the more symmetry I'm seeing. Only two drivers with >0.8 Qts, though, so not enough to start making blanket statements.

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
Think about it though from an OEM stand point. A Q that high is great for IB and would give the speaker some boom. Transient response wouldn't be the goal, but rather a feeling of a lot of bass...which is what you would get from a real high Q driver.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Looks exactly like the sub in the deck of my CTS-V...
Think that's what it came from. I know that's what Charles drives. Just not sure if this was out of that car or not.
Yes on both counts.

Think about it though from an OEM stand point. A Q that high is great for IB and would give the speaker some boom. Transient response wouldn't be the goal, but rather a feeling of a lot of bass...which is what you would get from a real high Q driver.
I hate I got in here late. Alll the points I would make are already out there. Yes, from listending to that sub for over a year I can tell you that it does make more boom than one would expect but for a guy that typically likes his drivers with a Q down around .5 it was not so great (and yeas I know the AEs are higher Q).

The other thing is the distortion levels. While not appreciabely higher in over distortion levels it does seem a little less "behaved" and most of the curves are about the same magnitude (unlike the AE TD6H or the Scan 18W Illum or other higher end drivers). Seems like it is well engineered from that standpoint. Why drive distortion down on the inductance when it will be dominated by another component of distortion. I know that everyone gives Bose **** (me included) but they tend to do the things they do well which typically is to cater to the largest market segment (BTW guys we aint' part of that segment).

Erin,

Did you notice any noises while testing? The reason I ask it seemed to have a vibration at higher levels (could have been the rear deck but I don't notice it now and I haven't treated it).

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
From the OEM standpoint it's a great sub. If they made one as an aftermarket option they'd just have to change some parameters and it would be worth using in really tight depth areas.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I see these same "subs" in 8, 10, and 12" iterations in many late model Nissian, Infinity, and Mercedes cars. In car they actually sound decent all things considered.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
The high qts is the only way you will get some output down near Fs when IB. Remember its a little single 10 trying to bass up a car, it better have a lot of output and you know factory it will be what we call low power so this is ideal.

The design and depth are interesting, I bet about four of these IB would be nice if you didn't need really low bass. I used to run quad pyramid 10s IB on 2x75 old school amps, sometimes 2x60, it could xmax them. Lot of bass for a little amp, impressive for $15 subs lol.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I assume Bose is using these low impedance drivers to get away from a DC to DC converter in the amp. If that is the case they should be able to get about 62W to these things (assuming an 80% efficiency in the amp). Anway that isn't neglible power (not booming definitely but still not bad).

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think that if BOSE really wanted to make a statement and use more expensive parts, they could compete pretty well with quite a few companies.

As such that's not their business model but the capability is clearly there.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts