DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

OK, so today I was adjusting the gains on my amps trying to get a little better sound out of my system, when all of a sudden I got a "pop" sound with a whine similar to that of alternator whine, and my front stage BA-GT-24 went into protect, which all happened on a millisecond time-frame. The input sensitivity gain was only set to ~4V, which is quite low on that amp.

So, here is my set up and why I need help diagnosing the problem:
1) GT-24 = front stage MB Quart pvi-216 (the one going into protect mode)
2) GT-24 = sub amp.
3) GT-20 = MB Quart pvi-216 as rear fill.
Neither of the "other" two amps (#2 or 3) go into protect. They function normally.

So, I turned volume down on the HU, turned the gain down on the GT-24 going in to protect, and turned the truck off. When I turned the truck back on, both the green and red light on the amp came on, and within 1 second, the green shut off and only the red light remained on. Each of the other amps powered up and functioned normally.

I double checked all power wires, all ground wires, remote turn on, and all speaker wires.

So, did my amp crash and burn?? Could a blown speaker throw the amp into protect? Any ideas?? I only ever run the system while the truck is running, so it shouldn't be a voltage issue (i dont think--plus the other amps are working).

Thanks so much

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
With the speaker wires removed from the amp: test to see if the amp still goes into protect mode, then measure the wires to determine the ohm load.

Measure voltage to the amp. 12v+.

Other than those things I think you have an internal amp issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Schmiddr2--I tried firing it up with only power ground and remote...no other inputs, and it still goes straight into safe.

Yes, it is a refurb. I called BA--I am outta town for 2 weeks, but they are having me send it back when i get back. Disappointing!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure what the plan is yet. I just wanted to register the complaint before I went away, and something dumb like my warranty ran out...lol

So, they have a record of my call, when I get back, we will go through the paces.

for 100$ each, if they give me a new one...then i hope all my amps die. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts