DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Thanks in advance for your help.

A friend who owns a mobile audio shop is recomending I get one 12'' boston acoustics spg555ss sub with a Kicker IX1000 amp. He knows I am looking for a SQ settup that can get loud if I want it to. I want a smallish enclosure and a small sized amp that can be hidden under the front seat. I listen to 40% hip-hop, 35% rock (from classic rock to jam band to hard core), 20% jazz/funk, and 5% other. This is for a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I used to have 2 12'' MMATS Pros in my old truck (sold with the truck) which I loved. He is trying to stear me away from MATTS. I was considering two 12" JL W6v2 but he told me that I can get better for the money.

Does anyone know anything about this sub or amp? Are there any other options you would consider?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That boston does not hold a candle to w6 in any way shape or form ive owned both. The spg was bostons attemp at an spl oriented sub hence the change in the feild recone. On the other hand the w6 is jls sq sub that can get damn loud 2 12 w6s and that kicker will be all youll ever want or need.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I dont agree in anyway shape or form that the spg cant hold a candle to the W6! Calling it an spl sub or that it was geared for such is also ludacris!
Not saying its better, but thats all subjective. Bottom line to answer your questions......
YES, the SPG can provide EXCELLENT SQ provided everything is in order (no **** sherlock moment!) Build an appropriate box for power, vehicle and range of frequency's you need it for. I will bet anyone any amount of $$$ I can take that SPG, W6, and probably a thousand other subs and put them in the appropriate enclosure, power, and tuning and you will not tell me which is which (this isnt my first rodeo with this either, NO ONE has ever passed;)

I dont think that would be my first choice for an amp.....I really dont find them robust enough for that sub (w6 it would be fine). Your going to have to power the **** out the spg especially if your going sealed. If you want a ton of impact and punch about a cube is going to do great. If you want it to dig a little lower and your going to lowpass it lower (below 70ish) I would shoot for 1.3cuft.
Like many things in life people tend to fear what is different....an oval sub is rather different and people tend to have preconceived notions about them (we call it ignorance;)
Done right its a superb sub! Its nice because depending on the situation it can allow you more cone area for a tighter area (narrow box, etc...)
There are countless subs out there that are wonderful.. The mmats are also great (love the p3's). Again its knowing how to properly impliment them, not everyone goes through that process and thats why you get so many "that sub sucks, this subs great" Most are using the exact same situation for all the subs and thats just not how they are all made. The bottom line is that there are WAY more great subs (more similar subs) then there are poor ones. ITS ALL WHAT YOU DO WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!
I would never be afraid to use the SPG in a high end SQ situation (comp. or otherwise!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That boston does not hold a candle to w6 in any way shape or form ive owned both. The spg was bostons attemp at an spl oriented sub hence the change in the feild recone. On the other hand the w6 is jls sq sub that can get damn loud 2 12 w6s and that kicker will be all youll ever want or need.
Do you think one 12w6v2 will be loud enough? Will that kicker amp sound good with it or would you go with the 500.1?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Do you think one 12w6v2 will be loud enough? Will that kicker amp sound good with it or would you go with the 500.1?
It would be loud enough for most people, but whether it would be loud enough for you is a call that you would have to make. I wouldn't call a 12w6v2 a SQ woofer, personally, though I would say that it does sound good. It will get louder than most "SQ" woofers, so if you want louder, you'll have to go for multiples, anyway. Personally, if you're not going to go for something truly SQ but just a good sounding 'all around' woofer like the w6, I'd rather see you go JBL WGTi. Another option is IDMAX/Arc Flatline. All of these options (including the w6v2) will sound good and get pretty loud, though the w6v2 won't get quite as loud as the others. But none of them are are what I'd call a SQ woofer, even though they do sound good. (There are, as you can see, people that DO consider them all SQ woofers, though.)

I think you'd be satisfied with any of them, really. Just make sure they are set up well as in the right box, good deadening, etc.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It would be loud enough for most people, but whether it would be loud enough for you is a call that you would have to make. I wouldn't call a 12w6v2 a SQ woofer, personally, though I would say that it does sound good. It will get louder than most "SQ" woofers, so if you want louder, you'll have to go for multiples, anyway. Personally, if you're not going to go for something truly SQ but just a good sounding 'all around' woofer like the w6, I'd rather see you go JBL WGTi. Another option is IDMAX/Arc Flatline. All of these options (including the w6v2) will sound good and get pretty loud, though the w6v2 won't get quite as loud as the others. But none of them are are what I'd call a SQ woofer, even though they do sound good. (There are, as you can see, people that DO consider them all SQ woofers, though.)

I think you'd be satisfied with any of them, really. Just make sure they are set up well as in the right box, good deadening, etc.
Lol.....
just out of curiosity.....what exactly constitutes an sq sub in your world? (You know.....since he is in the market for an sq sub....)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Lol.....
just out of curiosity.....what exactly constitutes an sq sub in your world? (You know.....since he is in the market for an sq sub....)
BL baby... it's all about the BL...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I wouldn't call a 12w6v2 a SQ woofer, personally, though I would say that it does sound good..... But none of them are are what I'd call a SQ woofer, even though they do sound good.
What is a SQ woofer? Klippel testing of a sub like the W6 showed a sub that is linear and low in distortion. In vehicle the sub tends to produce a lot of low end extention.

JL Audio 12W6v2-D4 Subwoofer Review - Subwoofer Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics

I see no reason what so ever why a sub like this could not produce "QUALITY" bass. "Linear" and "Low Distortion" are key factors in clean accurate bass.

So what exactly is a SQ woofer? I am ready to take notes.....

Would my underhung dual voice coil aluminum cone infinite baffle IB15" not fit the bill either? I reall want to hear this one.....ready to take notes and find out what a SQ sub is.

As far as the SPG555...I really question their voice coils. I have read of failures and here recently...a bud had one that the winding just fell apart. Humm???? Replacement coils are available....I wonder why?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
What is a SQ woofer? Klippel testing of a sub like the W6 showed a sub that is linear and low in distortion. In vehicle the sub tends to produce a lot of low end extention.

JL Audio 12W6v2-D4 Subwoofer Review - Subwoofer Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics

I see no reason what so ever why a sub like this could not produce "QUALITY" bass. "Linear" and "Low Distortion" are key factors in clean accurate bass.

So what exactly is a SQ woofer? I am ready to take notes.....

Would my underhung dual voice coil aluminum cone infinite baffle IB15" not fit the bill either? I reall want to hear this one.....ready to take notes and find out what a SQ sub is.

As far as the SPG555...I really question their voice coils. I have read of failures and here recently...a bud had one that the winding just fell apart. Humm???? Replacement coils are available....I wonder why?

Exactly ive seen three failures in three days before with the spgs. They absolutly cannot hald a candle to a w6 in any way. Im running the w6 right now off of a jbl 1200.1 at 2 ohms and i can beat the **** and i mean the **** out of it daily it has never shown any any sign of weakness yet been about 6 months. Thats double the rated power by the way try that with a spg and see what happens.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Exactly ive seen three failures in three days before with the spgs. They absolutly cannot hald a candle to a w6 in any way. Im running the w6 right now off of a jbl 1200.1 at 2 ohms and i can beat the **** and i mean the **** out of it daily it has never shown any any sign of weakness yet been about 6 months. Thats double the rated power by the way try that with a spg and see what happens.:rolleyes:
I have and would run that power on an spg without question. Clearly you either had something wrong with your unit, or more likely user error! You can prefer the w6 all day long....its a great unit. But to assume its "better" then the spg or it cant hold a candle to a w6 is just ****ing stupid! PERIOD!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
easily removable cone/coil assembly. Takes less than five minutes. That says it all and thats ****ING RETARDED. Your gonna tell me that they designed a sub like that with failures not in mind. How can you can get someone to buy the same sub over and over and over and over? Call it an spg 555 and tell em you can do a feild replacement in five mins:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
easily removable cone/coil assembly. Takes less than five minutes. That says it all and thats ****ING RETARDED. Your gonna tell me that they designed a sub like that with failures not in mind. How can you can get someone to buy the same sub over and over and over and over? Call it an spg 555 and tell em you can do a feild replacement in five mins:thumbsup:
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Thats your argument about why the spg is so poor? REALLY? THATS IT???????????????????? I dont need to say a thing....You have said it all:laugh: Thats just ****ing pathetic! I suppose the G5 (since you could do the same ****ing thing) is also crap too? That just shows how little you really know about them.... Do you ever ask what the benefits are of this? (aside from your ******* comment about it being built for failure (REALLY?) Seriously....when you can actually come up with valid reasoning for your outlandish comments we can talk but until then just do everyone a favor and stop with the random comments that you clearly know nothing about! Again, if you said I had both and I just really liked the W6 because it fit my situation better etc.....(thousands of ways that could go.....) that would be cool.... But this? LOL!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
And again its the only argument i need. So multiple failures your ok with you gives a **** what it sounds like the ****ing thing needs a recone after five mins of moderate play. You have said alot about what you could do.But until you do who ****ing cares. :snacks: What else ya got? What other excuses you gonna come with And the g5 is a BADASS but thats why its called a g5 and not a spg 555 the reason for the 555 is they were counting the number of recones you should go ahead and order with the spg.:pepper::rimshot:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Who knows what the failure rate of the 555 is compared to other subs? But the posts I have heard regarding bad coils were strange and seemingly premature. Like this picture that a bud (member: Manish...do a search) sent of a winding that fell out of his subs coil. He said the sub kept cutting in and out. After removing the coil he found the winding at the bottom.

Anyway, I like Boston as company and think they make great products. The 555 was one that I was interested in at one time.

Let your ears decide...have your friend demo the sub in your vehicle.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts