DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about grabbing a set of these today. My question is how well will they do given I will only be giving them about 50-60wrms (maybe more if my amp is underrated). I see they have a 90db sens. so im thinking pretty well. They wont be required to play midbass just mids and highs.

any opinions??

·
Registered
230 Posts
this set needs like 150 watts to sound like it should. not only to get low bass from the mids, but the tweeters are the same tweets that they package in their super high end set, and they rate them for a lot of power. i had the pro60se's, and i was putting 250 watts to each side. get a bigger amp, and you will like the sound.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
misread, its not the pro50se its just the pro50. same principle still apply??

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The Bostons are typically best in the midbass region. I'm not sure if they are known for the the mid range and highs.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I am going to horn in on this thread.

I have Boston Z5 speakers which are listed as 3 ohms nominal. These are going in a beater car and I don't want to spend a ton on amps. I don't want to spend a ton period. I would just remove the Bostons and replace them, but they were such a pain to shoe horn into the 4" OEM locations. And I doubt I could get much more selling them used than anything I could make fit. The 2.375 depth is a hard limit.

I have a Vibe Litebox 4 which does about 75W x 4 into 4 or 120W x 4 into 2 ohms. I am afraid to bridge it into 3 ohms.

Can I get by with somewhere ~ 90W into them? If I biamp it with the Litebox it should be about 90W to the mids and maybe 40 W to the tweeters (6 ohms I believe). Would biamping make a big difference?

If I have to biamp that means a separate subwoofer amp.

The manual does recommend 200-400 W but finding a cheap amp that will put out over 200 W into 3 ohms is not easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts