DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Zapco amp is rated at 4 ohms and 2 ohms but the bostons are 3 ohms. Will it be safe to run the zapco at 3ohms? And will that be enough power to drive the bostons?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mike,

That amp is stable anywhere between 4-2 ohms and puts out enough power @ 3 ohms to drive those Bostons just fine, and they will get plenty loud. I had a pair and ran them @ only 75watts and they sounded great. My suggestion from the question your asking is to read ALOT more before you try to install anything, or take it to someone for the install. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well i already have the pro60's installed which i did myself but was unaware that bostons needed a little in order to sound their best. Mainly the tweeter and speaker not being more than 6" apart. Going to mount the tweeter in my kick panel and put one of bostons ambient tweeters in my stock location. I am currently using a Kenwood Excelon xr-4s to power them but would not like to get a good sound quality amp for them and set them up correctly. I had always assumed that even though it doesn't say 3ohm that its ok, its just the zapco had said 2ohm stereo stable which threw me off a bit and I just wanted to make sure. Currently I just feel as though when played loud now they do not necessarily distort but get a little muddy in the mid range. This could just be because I need to add an extra inch of space to push the speaker out a little more and if I set up the tweeter correctly. I am also guessing that getting a sound quality zapco would be beneficial. Plus I still need to sound deaden the doors. Everything is tuned and the xover is set at 100hz. Equalizer is flat and no processing. Used a mulimeter that measures rms in real time to set gains.

Thanks, Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts