DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just re-acquired a set of Alpine SPX-F17T Crossovers. I do not have the speakers that go with the crossover set. I do have the step below these, the Alpine SPX-177A speakers and crossovers, and a set of Boston Z6. Z6's are installed. I was wondering if the big glorious 3-way crossovers would do me any benefit at all. The best drivers I have are the Z6's in my opinion. I don't know that much about the slopes on the 3-way crossovers, and the information is almost non-existent. I would like to mix-match if anyone has experience with these crossovers, and know what they really like as a woofer and midbass.

Can't add links yet, I hope you know these speakers and crossovers.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
One problem with the Z6 midbass is it is 3 ohm nominal. I forget which direction that moves the crossover but it will change it half an octave if the Alpine are 4 ohm speakers which I believe they are. May not be a big deal with a dedicated midrange. Usually though using a crossover with different speakers than the original has unpredictable results. If the crossover has impedance compensation, tweeter padding, etc. it could make the speaker sound much worse.

Also it is not exactly clear what you are suggesting. Are you planning to run the Z6 midbass with the mids and tweeters from the Alpine, or just add the Alpine Mid or what? Just going from 2-way to 3-way is not better or worse in itself. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. What is it about the Z6 you don't like?

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jim, for your insight. I didn't realize that different impedance changed tonal quality through crossovers. There's nothing about the Z6 I don't like, I was just getting wrapped up in the aesthetic beauty of the Alpine 3-way crossovers, and was hypothesizing uses for them. I guess I'll just keep using the Z6's the way they were meant to be heard. There's nothing wrong with that, Boston R&D will be pleased =)

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
509 Posts
maybe look at running the z6's active if your headunit supports it and if you have the extra amp channels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts