DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for an easy way to go active. Been looking through the Classifieds for a H701 or a nice AudioControl crossover. But everything I found was $350 and up, used.

Then I saw that Crutchfield is selling the CDA-9887 for $359 (after $40 discount). I figure, what the heck? So I ordered one. Pretty happy about that.

I lose the ability to use my iPod and USB drive at the same time, but I'll live with that. Just thought I'd share that. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know it's not great for people who like to tweak their settings. I'm more of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy though.

I'm about to buy a set of Hybrid Audio components (L61-2 Pros) and they don't come with passive crossovers. So this is a simple way to go active, while improving the source signal.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It's actually really easy to fiddle with. Once you figure out what buttons do what, it's pretty simple to use.

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
^^^ OP, you should have bought his :p ^^^
Except I'm not selling it just yet :p

98RedGT:

I doubt you'd notice a difference in sound between the two units. The biggest differences between the two are out of the box tuning. The 9886 REQUIRES imprint to get any type of active crossovers or an EQ, the 9887 does not.

The 9887 can take advantage of Imprint, but that's just for auto tuning, you can do it manually without needing anything extra.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The 9886, 9887, and H701 processor are all totally different things. One is a rowboat, another is a yacht, and the other is a USS Arizona. One significant reason to upgrade to an h701 is when you need 2 bandpasses. The 9886 is just a cd transport with nothing else to rave about. Almost a waste IMO. Determine what you need first before purchasing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts