DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright, i know I need a 4 CF box to run it ported.

I wanna just build a tunnel instead of using a flared tube, could somebody use one of those fancy programs that i dont know how to use to get me the dementions i need to get the port at the right frequency. the max hight can be 18 1\5"s but im gonna go with 16" to be on the safe side, the max width between wheel wells is 46 1\2" the over all width is 62"s

46 1\2" total

62"

Idk the width between those rails yet. :\ but I'd say take off a 6" off that 46 1\6 and just make it 40"

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
what subs are you gonna put in there?
do you know what freq the box is tuned to?
4cuft net or gross? (meaning once the speaker and port is in there, does it need to be 4cuft internally)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
*grumbles* bonus post!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
people do know theirs a delete button right? i keep repeating it but nobody ever seems to find it lol. bottom ride of edit menu.

oh im sorry i see what i did, yeah that first link was the image of the PDF. sorry about that! :D yeah i need 4 CF net i think, tuned to 28 hz i think.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
people do know theirs a delete button right? i keep repeating it but nobody ever seems to find it lol. bottom ride of edit menu.

oh im sorry i see what i did, yeah that first link was the image of the PDF. sorry about that! :D yeah i need 4 CF net i think, tuned to 28 hz i think.
ya, we know. :D bonus posts, too lazy to delete 1 of 2 posts EVERY DAMN TIME I post.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ok, here is the deal. with a 4cuft box, it is nice and flat and you dont run out of xmax until about 1700 watts @ 19hz. so this thing is gonna be a low bass ground pounder, lol.

this assumes an 80hz lowpass and 20hz SSF.

4" port it will be 8" long, but it will be about 180ft/s port velocity. so port noise IS going to be a problem. can you whistle?
6" port it will be 18" long and port noise is 80ft/s. still a bit high for my liking.
4" x 12" slot port @ 26" long will bring it down to 47ft/s, much better.

port will be about 1 cuft all on its own. so now your box needs to be 5cuft. :D

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
extra extra, read all about it!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the GTI is easily a SQ sub in any configuiration, i run my 12" in a ported 2.21 CF box tuned to 33hz. I had help with that box too :X but I compete SQ with it, my low's in my system get some of the best scores acualy. this is a client though, im doing the install and he wanted me to do a box, i havn't done a ported box, but I'm all about the learning process :D

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep. 86' caprise

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope just a client :)

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Honestly with the contours on that floor and such.. You would be much better off creating a fiberglass mold of the bottom, and build off that for your ported box.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts