DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is rather simple. I have done the math and have figured my dimensions for my box for three JL 12w3's. I have one question should I leave the dividers solid or just make them a brace in the box with the centers cut out?

I am running the three with an 01 fosgate bd 500 and if I had to pick I would say it is more of an spl over sq build but it is still evolving for now.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Dividers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Agreed.

Dividers are braces, and they keep the subs from interfering with each other or unloading in the event that any of them fail.
sorry bit of a thread jack here but im almost finished building my box, i had a divider but cut a circle out of it (box is sealed for 2x12's) so it still acts as a brace and the wiring will run through the hole as well as helping not to reduce the space inside the box (running on min specs)

am i causing myself trouble down the track? i can seal it up but would require some work and reducing the size of both chambers somewhat, got me worried now

edit: a thought, if i hook the dvc subs up in parallel (2ohms each) instead of series (8 ohms) then hook the amp to the subs in series instead of parallel, this would mean that 1 sub failing should (most of the time) open the circuit and cut power right? this might be an easy work around, if there is no issues with my proposed wiring?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't think the old school w3's would work well in a baffle and I also kinda need my back seat from time to time.:laugh:;)
I think you can't count them out until you try them IB. Every sub i tried IB i was heavily discouraged by others that it would sound good. Even manufacturers when I called them said the subs wouldn't sound good. My current setup has a single 13w7AE IB and its the best sounding setup I've had to date. I'm also curious as to why you would lose the back seat if you went IB?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you can't count them out until you try them IB. Every sub i tried IB i was heavily discouraged by others that it would sound good. Even manufacturers when I called them said the subs wouldn't sound good. My current setup has a single 13w7AE IB and its the best sounding setup I've had to date. I'm also curious as to why you would lose the back seat if you went IB?
If I was to do an infinite baffle I would not want to cut up my car and the easiest way to avoid that in my 87 monte would be to mount the baffle on the seat side of things. With three subs cutting the center brace out would be mandatory and then keeping the back seat would be easier but that gets back to cutting out stuff and that is not what I am after.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts