DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on a box I am designing. First let me say that I used to build and install boxes as a hobby a while ago and I was fairly good, however I haven't built an enclosure for roughly 10 years so I am a bit rusty. I decided to utilize some equipment I have sitting around and I want to sink a subwoofer into the floor of my commuter car (loosing as little height as possible). I've designed an enclosure that will sit over the top of the spare, using the cavity left by the spare to allow the sub to sit lower while retaining my spare tire. The question I have is on the shape of the box. I am using a wood bowl as a sort of bump-out on the bottom of the box that the magnet assembly will go down into. The bowl I have is roughly 12" in diameter and 5" deep, 5/8 thick and made of laminated hardwoods. Not ideal but should be sufficient. The upper part of the cabinet is roughly 2" x 18" x 30" (rough dimensions, I will adjust a bit to fit the car better).

What are your thoughts on a box that is only 2" high around the sides of the woofer? I've included an attachment to show the box design to help illustrate the question a bit better. I am very curious to see what your thoughts are on this design and if I am hindering the subs performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
err, you don't need to design a full enclosure if you use a spare tire well. You just need to make sure the top plate seals against the body of the car.

If you want a full enclosure, though, why not just glass it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of glassing it but the spare tire well, even with the tire still in it is far too big to hit the internal volume I am shooting for (0.95 cuft). If I build a box on top of the tire and glass in the bottom I don't really get enough area, still requiring the box to overhang over the spare tire cavity. I would glass it if it would work out but from what I measured the specs just don't come out right, which is why I went to a standard box with the "bump". It helped me dial in the exact internal volume I was looking for and simplified the construction considerably.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Why not fiberglass it into the corner of your vehicle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can glass into the corner but then my golf clubs don't fit in the car (I know, lame right?). I can glass any shape I need it just gets a bit tricky nailing down the exact internal dimensions when the shape gets too funky (but I can do it).

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Make some sort of mold for what you want out of something easy like foam, and then glass around it.

The bowl you have may be fine... who knows... give it a shot if you want, should turn out decent. Just make sure to put some bracing in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess my biggest question here is do you think the "pancake" box is too thin. Considering the sub has plenty of room behind it, will the 2" portion cause any unusual artifacts that you can think of?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts