DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to the forum here but i had noticed a ton of info on this site and need a few questions answered for a build we are doing for our shop.

We are in the midst of building up a 1994 jimmy with two Hertz SPL show 15's on a Hertz HP3001 3000w rms amplifier.

We need a build for a box for this unit and want it to get loww... We're fairly new to large enclosures for builds like this and I was hoping to get some info on build type/size for these particular subs.

Manufacturer spec says 4.4cubes for 2 of these tuned to 35hz, but it just seems to constricted and small if i want to get down into the high 20s/low 30s.

We have a total open space of 50 inches deep, 38 inches wide, and 30 inches high.

Please give us some insight!
-Dave

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Go with about 6 ft^3 total tuned to 30hz, 100 in^2 of port area, subs up port back, ports loading off the back wall about 8" from the back.

That's my general recommendation, others may disagree but it's a pretty tried-and-true configuration for that amount of power.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Go with about 6 ft^3 total tuned to 30hz, 100 in^2 of port area, subs up port back, ports loading off the back wall about 8" from the back.

That's my general recommendation, others may disagree but it's a pretty tried-and-true configuration for that amount of power.
I'd like to piggy back on this, although that enclosure is tried and true it isn't always the best depending on vehicle. For example, I have a '07 FJ Cruiser and had a 13w7 in a ported box per the exact enclosure mentioned (minus the size and port area); sub up port back and it was lacking big time! I didn't realize how under-performing it was until I blew the amp by accident and switched out the amp and sub. The replacement were a pair of 8" Dayton Audio Reference's in a traditional sub back port back configuration and it blew the w7 away! I thought something was amiss but I switched out the Dayton's to a single 12w6v3 in a traditional sub back port back enclosure as well and it hit even harder than the Dayton's! So as I said, it's all vehicle dependent and if you have the time and money, build different sized and configuration enclosures.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts