Cut ID: 16.750”
Mounting depth: 10.000”
Displacement: 0.24cuft

P Chamfer YES
High QTS Yes
Spider Yes
I Heat Ring Yes
Cooling Yes
As far as "best" enclosure, do you mean the one that optimizes power handling? Has high efficiency/lots of low frequency output? Has the flattest response curve?

Sensitivity and Hoffman’s Iron Law, or “why you can’t have your cake and eat it too”

Hoffman's Iron Law states you'll have to engineer your enclosure to strike the right series of compromises depending on what you value most in terms of the system's response. The 4-8 cubic feet enclosure spectrum should be looked at as a guide that doesn't take your goals into consideration, so you may have to build a range of different enclosures to experiment, or at least model them using some download-able enclosure design software- what I value in subwoofer response may differ from what you are after, so it's difficult to give you a definitive answer ;).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as "best" enclosure, do you mean the one that optimizes power handling? Has high efficiency/lots of low frequency output? Has the flattest response curve?

Sensitivity and Hoffman’s Iron Law, or “why you can’t have your cake and eat it too”

Hoffman's Iron Law states you'll have to engineer your enclosure to strike the right series of compromises depending on what you value most in terms of the system's response. The 4-8 cubic feet enclosure spectrum should be looked at as a guide that doesn't take your goals into consideration, so you may have to build a range of different enclosures to experiment, or at least model them using some download-able enclosure design software- what I value in subwoofer response may differ from what you are after, so it's difficult to give you a definitive answer ;).
all i wanted was a good starting point in a box dimention size and shape

·
Registered
254 Posts
all i wanted was a good starting point in a box dimention size and shape
I get that-

Do you want to maximize efficiency (getting loud with minimal watts of power), maximize the woofer's power handling (the ability to handle rated power+ while keeping the woofer properly damped and under control), maximize low frequency extension, or do you want a flat frequency response throughout the woofer's range?

Answer those questions and we can point you towards an enclosure size you might want to start with...leave it a guessing game and unfortunately it can't be narrowed down much for you ;).

Some good reading (regardless of what brand your sub is) that may help you answer your own question:

JL Audio - Car Audio Systems

The "Q" is primarily a sealed enclosure type of woofer, and depending on what you want to get out of it, you may lean towards the 4 cubic foot enclosure, the 8 cubic foot enclosure, or somewhere in the middle. The woofer's performance and sound quality characteristics will vary depending on enclosure size and type- getting this right is as important as the woofer you put in it. Enclosure design is about striking the right balance of compromises to get a specific result out of several types of results, and you haven't given us much to work with in terms of what is important to you. The JL tutorials will explain a bit about what to expect from small enclosures, larger enclosures and will save regurgitating what they've already typed up so eloquently here on the forum.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You got an 18 dog make the box big. Whatever your trunk size is just plan the box around that and see what happens. Ive heard of angling the box on the opposite side of the cone could stop cancellation, and pollyfill might do that too. Also ive heard polyfill makes the box seem bigger to the sub and reduce power handling. A big box will pound the lows with that sub and a small box will increase your spl at higher frequencies. So basically to me big is more sq in this situation and small is for getting louder even if its sealed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get that-

Do you want to maximize efficiency (getting loud with minimal watts of power), maximize the woofer's power handling (the ability to handle rated power+ while keeping the woofer properly damped and under control), maximize low frequency extension, or do you want a flat frequency response throughout the woofer's range?

Answer those questions and we can point you towards an enclosure size you might want to start with...leave it a guessing game and unfortunately it can't be narrowed down much for you ;).

Some good reading (regardless of what brand your sub is) that may help you answer your own question:

The "Q" is primarily a sealed enclosure type of woofer, and depending on what you want to get out of it, you may lean towards the 4 cubic foot enclosure, the 8 cubic foot enclosure, or somewhere in the middle. The woofer's performance and sound quality characteristics will vary depending on enclosure size and type- getting this right is as important as the woofer you put in it. Enclosure design is about striking the right balance of compromises to get a specific result out of several types of results, and you haven't given us much to work with in terms of what is important to you. The JL tutorials will explain a bit about what to expect from small enclosures, larger enclosures and will save regurgitating what they've already typed up so eloquently here on the forum.[/QUOT

thx for the help i think im going to try for flat frequency response throughout the woofer's range sence most on the fourms say close to flat always sounds better to the ear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts