DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased two DIYMA subs and plan to run them sealed for SQ off a JL 500.1 in the back of my 4Runner. Trying to decide what would be the optimal chamber size for each with this kind of power (300+/- per sub I'm guessing)??? Any help for a noob would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
About .75-.90 per R12 has worked BEAUTIFULLY for me. I've tried boxes from .5 through 1.1 over the past year and a half. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that's great Boost. I should have enough power correct? Also, how will I wire them to produce 2ohms??

·
Registered
302 Posts
About .75-.90 per R12 has worked BEAUTIFULLY for me. I've tried boxes from .5 through 1.1 over the past year and a half. Hope that helps some.
I just got 1 too.

.75-.9 you mean pure box size right? I.e. not .75 + displacement of the sub? I'm sure thats what u mean, I just want to make sure :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
From the specs listed in the ad:

Specs:

* Acceptable enclosure size: .25 to 1.5cft sealed box (larger enclosures INCREASE powerhandling)
* Acceptable amplifer power range: 200 to 1000 watts per sub
* Recommended for typical SQ use: 1cft + 300 watt amplifier power

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I'd go with whatever Boostedrex recommends. He's put his DIYMA in a plethora of different sized enclosures over the years and knows what's best.

PS: Does it really that larger enclosures increase power handling? That must have been the biggest typo in the DIYMA's literature ever.

...ever.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Nick,

From what I've read it's easier to shred the cone in smaller boxes with some power on tap.

Either way 1.0 cube sealed with 300-400 watts per driver, is probably what I would aim for, maybe a hair on the smaller side.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah smaller enclosures on the DIYMA with lots of power...tend to destroy them since the cone is sort of fragile....larger enclosures produce less pressure on the cone with shoving power up there bums....so it increases the power handling...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
From a technical standpoint, increasing the box size of any sealed alignment reduces power handling. There's less of an air spring the larger and larger you go with volume of a sealed box alignment. I seriously doubt the DIYMA is happier in 1 ft^3 with 1500 watts than it is in 0.5 ft^3 with 1000 watts. Either way, the cone can't handle the power. Thermally, that big coil can soak up the power, but the rest of it isn't up to par. But with what most people run on the DIYMA (less than or equal to 500 watts) there's no problem. But saying that increasing box volume increases power handling is like saying that doubling your horsepower slows your car down.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
thermally the coil can handle 1000w, mechanically the smaller enclosure sizes become a problem. so yea, counter-intuitive but still true for this particular driver.

·
Registered
185 Posts
last couple posts in this thread really helped to clear some stuff up for me, thanks for just not giving an answer but explaining it helps us beginners out a ton.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
last couple posts in this thread really helped to clear some stuff up for me, thanks for just not giving an answer but explaining it helps us beginners out a ton.
x1000!! Guess I'll shoot for 1cf minus the actual displacement per chamber.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts