DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing my BA G2 sub with an Image Dynamics ID10, and it would be nice if I could use the same box. I have a .55 cu. ft. box now for the BA, but the ID says it will work in a .55 to 1.05 cu. ft. box. So what would be the difference if I put it in the current .55 box versus getting one that is say 1.0 cu. ft.? Will it perform better in a larger box? I have no idea what all of the different specs of the sub mean, I'm mainly just looking for something simple while I figure all of that out so I can make my own box later down the road if I want to. I have a feeling this is a loaded question and I'll probably get a ton of different answers, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Air is compressible to an extent...when we build a sealed box we limit the amount of air that the sub can compress to the volume of the sub box we built.

The bigger the box, the more air available to compress...

We can also "cheat" by adding polyster fiberfill in the box which will make it "seem" as if we actually have a bigger box. Many times guys will use 1.0 -1.5 pound of polyseter fiberfill per cubic foot of box air space.

The bigger the box, the deeper the sub usually plays (longer excursion throw for a given amount of power you give the sub) but it also makes the sub a bit more "loose"...so your music is not as tight and controlled.

It is all a trade-off - a small sub box is tight and accurate, but can require a lot of power and won't usually play as deep and boom as much...

A big box can play deep and loud, and be more "boomy", but generally isn't as tight.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
The size of the box is dictated by those specs. some subs work really well in a small sealed box some don't. Only easy to tell is model it or build lots of boxes. ;)

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Air is compressible to an extent...when we build a sealed box we limit the amount of air that the sub can compress to the volume of the sub box we built.

The bigger the box, the more air available to compress...

We can also "cheat" by adding polyster fiberfill in the box which will make it "seem" as if we actually have a bigger box. Many times guys will use 1.0 -1.5 pound of polyseter fiberfill per cubic foot of box air space.

The bigger the box, the deeper the sub usually plays (longer excursion throw for a given amount of power you give the sub) but it also makes the sub a bit more "loose"...so your music is not as tight and controlled.

It is all a trade-off - a small sub box is tight and accurate, but can require a lot of power and won't usually play as deep and boom as much...

A big box can play deep and loud, and be more "boomy", but generally isn't as tight.
so using the op's new sub if the box was larger than 1.05 would that be bad for the driver?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts