DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm Sam from Portugal and I bought a Porsche Boxster 986 recently. It has the worst audio I've ever heard in a car. It's the base audio, with a cassete deck and 4 inch dash speakers and 1" tweeters. I'm not a hard core car audio guy, but I do enjoy sound quality - I have a simple good home hifi setup, with PSB T5 Image and Technics Reference amplifier, but I really have to replace the audio in the Boxster. I just can't stand it.

I'm thinking of buying a Pioneer DEH 80PRS, and putting some 6.5 inch speakers on the doors. I don't think I need a subwoofer.

I'm a bit on a budget, so could you help me get reasonable good speakers for under 300 USD? Do I need to get an amplifier? I have a friend that gave me a Sony XM-GTX6021 2 channel amp, would it help or do I need to get another one?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hi,

I'm Sam from Portugal and I bought a Porsche Boxster 986 recently. It has the worst audio I've ever heard in a car. It's the base audio, with a cassete deck and 4 inch dash speakers and 1" tweeters. I'm not a hard core car audio guy, but I do enjoy sound quality - I have a simple good home hifi setup, with PSB T5 Image and Technics Reference amplifier, but I really have to replace the audio in the Boxster. I just can't stand it.

I'm thinking of buying a Pioneer DEH 80PRS, and putting some 6.5 inch speakers on the doors. I don't think I need a subwoofer.

I'm a bit on a budget, so could you help me get reasonable good speakers for under 300 USD? Do I need to get an amplifier? I have a friend that gave me a Sony XM-GTX6021 2 channel amp, would it help or do I need to get another one?

Thank you in advance!
I can't help on speaker selection, but I will say that you shouldn't skip the amplifier. There are some nice class D amps out there that are small and compact like the Arc XDi, JL audio XD, or the Alpine PDX.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
That amplifier, assuming it's working, is 60 watts x 2 RMS. That'll be fine for the size of your car and the needs you've expressed so long as you go with a mid-range speaker with reasonable efficiency. I've been impressed lately with the Kenwood Excelon coaxials/components for the price. We had them on sale and I ended up installing a zillion of them and I was happy with all but one install. The one I didn't like was in a hoopty POS car that had no business being modified... just being crushed.

Don't forget to factor in wiring for that amplifier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know which configuration I should get. 2x 4 inch mids, 2x 1 inch tweeters and 2x 6.5 mids/lows? The amp being 2 channels, should I connect it to the 6.5 speakers, and run the 4 inch ones and the tweeters directly from the head unit? Is this possible?

The Kenwood Excelon range doesn't have 4 inch speakers. What would I use to match it with KFC-XP184C? Well, I don't know if I should run 6 component speakers, and which.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you think about the HERTZ ESK 163L? It has 1 inch tweeters, 4 inch mids and 6.5 inch mid/lows, 125W/92db.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
The real advantage of the Pioneer 80prs is the ability to run active. In my opinion, if you aren't going to run an active two way front stage with at least 4 channels of external amplification, you aren't gaining much by getting the 80prs. You could save some cash on the HU and put it into other things. If you do want the active features of the stereo, I think you will almost need to get an amp and piece together a decent front stage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I went to a car audio shop to ask for install price. They've told me the best budget sq for the car was Focal PS 165 F3 + Focal P4100 900 USD, but I don't want to spend so much.

I've thought about these setups:

Speakers:

Focal PS 165(200), PS 165 FX (340) or 165 F3 (510, 3 way)

1 - Which do you think are the best bang for the buck? Do the extra 140 are noticeable for the FX? And the extra 310 for the F3? Really didn't want to go over 340 unless the difference to the 3 way F3 sq is mind blowing.

Amp: MB Quarts 4 channel

2 - I think the amp quality is usually the least noticeable, so are these amps reasonable for a low(est) budget sq, or can you recommend a better one for 300 USD? THD of 0.05 seems nice.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts