DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, which one do you like better.. Me and my cousin are gonna build a box once I move next month and i wanted to know which one was better and why.. Also which woodglue to use.. I'm pretty sure im gonna go with gorilla glue woodglue

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I used to 'glue and screw' but switched to an air nailer.... Heaven.:)
So much faster, no predrilling, no split out. I've read some write ups stating screws actually hinder the integrity of The enclosure. The screws/brads are only there to secure the joint while the glue dries anyway. I'll never go back to screws... But that's just me. Lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i've built a box before and used screws.. it was to much drilling and i split the wood.. it was pretty terrible.. it was my first box so i expected it but i figured a nailgun would be so much faster

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I bet I easily cut my build time in half using the gun. I don't have my own, so I snag my grandfathers pancake compressor and gun. Lol it helps he's an avid wood hobbiest.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Can you please explain some more...thanks
I wish I could remember where I read that. It was something like the screws compressed the wood/mdf, compromising the panel integrity at the joint.
It wasn't my deciding factor in going to a nail gun, that was the speed and simplicity in it.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
my dad has a compressor and stuff so i might have to pick him up a nailgun for xmas lol
Lol nothing better than a gift you can benefit from as well.:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
just make sure ur shooting at like 95psi to 110 psi to ensure your nails make it through flush with your wood. or else u will be hammering after

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
2" long, 1/2" crown staple gun FTW. I throw some yellow glue down on the pieces, line em up, and shoot it home. No splits, and no clamps needed.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
glue and brad nails. the glue is what will actually make the bond, the brad nails hold it in place while it dries. a wood glue bond will be stronger than the mdf.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
glue and brad nails. the glue is what will actually make the bond, the brad nails hold it in place while it dries. a wood glue bond will be stronger than the mdf.
^this. nails, screws, clamps. whatever will hold it together until the glue dries :p

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Glue it, clamp it, nail it, remove clamp, move on with life.

Hell, before I got an air-nailer I'd nail that **** together with a hammer :D

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
there is an Auto Dupe party in my pants and all the hot chicks are coming.
lol, you can edit and delette the dups, but this is more fun :D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts