DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I finally have enough pieces of the puzzle to start a log for my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited....

Those of you that followed my RAM build know that It was nearly complete until it met its fate in the form of a Mini Cooper.
2012 Ram crew cab sport build... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

A few days after that mishap, my first daughter was born so I opted for a more family friendly vehicle, which would need a more "family friendly" system. Therefore the old gear was sold or traded in order to down size a bit. The vehicle will be used a decent amount by the wife when I'm working and those of you with kids know, they require A LOT of crap just for a simple trip to the store. So This build can take up about zero of the available cargo area. Now on to the good stuff.

The victim....

Was a little too grocery getter-ish at first so I dropped it 2" and put some jeep SRT8 wheels on it.

The gear...

Helix DSP pro
ground zero GZUA 4.150SQ X 2
Ground zero GZUA 2.250SQ (coming soon)
Audio frog GB12 subwoofer
SI TM65 mids
Scanspeak ring radiators.
A lot of deadener

The unknown....

-Mid range for 3 way front. If I decide to take that route.
-5-1/4" for rear fill.
-my main concern, is how to deal with the oem head unit signal. The factory amp applies eq and time alignment so I'm unsure how that will affect things if I feed it directly to the helix. Wondering if I need a clean sweep or something similar to clean it up before the signal goes to the DSP?? May just hook it up as is and see what happens. Any suggestions on this?

The plan....

After I deaden, mlv, and ccf the crap out of everything, I plan to use the factory locations for the front mid and tweeter. Sail panel and door. If I do 3 way, I will build another set of pillars. I will replace the spare tire with a 12v compressor and plug kit and utilize the giant spare tire well for sub and amps.... Simplicity in sound style. I will make it to where the floor can be put back in when I need to throw all the baby crap back there.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Good looking ride.
Nice touches on the exterior, and nice selection for the interior.
Sub'd for the fun.:)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm in for the Frog! What's going to be powering that GB? Also looking forward to your impressions of the tm65 compared to your previous Dyn 172's.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in for the Frog! What's going to be powering that GB? Also looking forward to your impressions of the tm65 compared to your previous Dyn 172's.

The GZUA 2.250SQ will power it. Whenever I get it. Does 1200 @ 2ohm.

I'm pretty excited about the TMs. The jeep door speaker location is knee height or a little higher compared to down by the ankles like the RAM. I think that should help. Although they still have some big shoes to fill.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The GZUA 2.250SQ will power it. Whenever I get it. Does 1200 @ 2ohm.

I'm pretty excited about the TMs. The jeep door speaker location is knee height or a little higher compared to down by the ankles like the RAM. I think that should help. Although they still have some big shoes to fill.

Awesome info. I had originally planned a ks300.2 per gb12 but today thought a ks600.2 would be better. Looks like I may be right. I'm waiting for tm65 sales to open back up. If they wait too long I'll have ordered the Dyns. I know I won't be disappointed either way.

Congrats again on the little one! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome info. I had originally planned a ks300.2 per gb12 but today thought a ks600.2 would be better. Looks like I may be right. I'm waiting for tm65 sales to open back up. If they wait too long I'll have ordered the Dyns. I know I won't be disappointed either way.

Congrats again on the little one! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Thanks a lot bro. No feeling in the world like it.

And I'd almost be kidding myself saying I will have only 1 GB12 in this vehicle for very long. Lol. And had the MW172s not needed so much surgery to get in the jeep, I'd still have them.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
In for the build, get going Brad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did manage to get started on a few things this weekend. Cut, tech flexed, and labeled the wire for the front. Gonna wire it for three way while im there. Ya know. Just in case....12ga knukoncepts kord speaker cable.

Finally got some use out of my DIYMA R12 I've had lying around...

I hear this adds extra SQ... Lol. Spent a lot of time on this just so I can stuff it under the carpet out of sight.

I also was able to get some adapters cut for the 6.5"s.

Only about 1/2" between the factory speaker and inner door panel so I had to rabbet the back of the adapter so it sits down in the oem 6x9 baffle.

I could have gone about this an easier way, but this free time snuck up on me by surprise so I had to use what I had on hand. 3/4" mdf. Next I'll spray with some truck bedliner to protect them a little bit.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Alright, I'm ready. Let's do this! You are making wish I got a GC... that thing looks great man!

·
Registered
113 Posts
:cool:Looking nice. In for demo.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Thanks.... I'm sure we'll both want change in a few months. Then we can just swap vehicles.
Lol, good plan!

Looking forward to what you do with this one...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of my prayers has been answered...,

The newest helix pro software includes an input EQ!! Now I don't have to worry about how the oem signal will affect performance.

And on another note, I built some pillars and went from 2 way to 3 way front for a buddy and the difference was substantial. So 3 way it is.

Anyone have experience with these? I have a defrost vent behind the pillar so I need something small to be as unobtrusive as possible.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-2-fullrange/scanspeak-discovery-5f/8422t-01-2-full-range/

Or any other recommendations?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
^^^ No experience with those, but looking at the specs, they are rated at only 10w and 80db so they MIGHT have trouble keeping up with the rest of your system if it is anything like the awesome one that you built in your Ram. Anyway, while much more spendy, I would suggest looking at the new Audible Physics AR2.6 full range driver-- Pics and specs on this page--

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.861686433919789.1073741829.810328909055542&type=3

1 - 20 of 726 Posts