DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

241 - 260 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow looks great. Mighty handy with the router. Finished product should be excellent.

Your welcome Jon, anytime. Glad i can get another set of ears to hear it through it's progression. Hopefully next time you hear it, it won't even sound like the same vehicle you heard today. Or at least sound good enough to make you want to get started on your truck... Lol
Definitely made me want to get started have a few other things I need to tend to first unfortunately.:mad:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I wonder if I had the itty bitty router table, could I be more patient and do great work like you? I have this massive pro quality table and can't do shit.

Looks awesome man!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Wow looks great. Mighty handy with the router. Finished product should be excellent.

Definitely made me want to get started have a few other things I need to tend to first unfortunately.:mad:

Thanks. Life always seems to get in the way of fun. What a jerk.

I wonder if I had the itty bitty router table, could I be more patient and do great work like you? I have this massive pro quality table and can't do shit.

Looks awesome man!

Loll, im afraid I wouldn't know how to act with a legit table setup. The fear of the ghetto one flipping over and taking half my hand off keeps me patient.

I plan to build a proper table one of these days. Just waiting for this $99 ryobi/table combo, I got 5 years ago to eat shit. Lil bastard jus wont die.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thanks. Life always seems to get in the way of fun. What a jerk.

Loll, im afraid I wouldn't know how to act with a legit table setup. The fear of the ghetto one flipping over and taking half my hand off keeps me patient.

I plan to build a proper table one of these days. Just waiting for this $99 ryobi/table combo, I got 5 years ago to eat shit. Lil bastard jus wont die.
Exact one I have! Ha!

Looks awesome man!
And I'll happily trade it for a grown up one- you close to Tampa, Fl? Ha!:laugh:

·
Registered
805 Posts
This thing's really starting to come together, looking great bradknob. Like the others, I can't get over this sketchy ass router setup you've got going on here. You have all this skill we're seeing in this thread, but you can't hook a router up with a couple legs and maybe some feet? For the sake of your fingers man, go buy a couple 2x4's!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Here's some of it
I haven't finished building it yet. Made a frame on wheels for it all, but still deciding on how to frame the front to put all the drawers in and a door on to get to the dust chute. Incra table top and ls fence. Maybe the lift is Incra as well, porter 3 hp router motor.

Ouch

Edit: found this, it's in the background.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
This thing's really starting to come together, looking great bradknob. Like the others, I can't get over this sketchy ass router setup you've got going on here. You have all this skill we're seeing in this thread, but you can't hook a router up with a couple legs and maybe some feet? For the sake of your fingers man, go buy a couple 2x4's!

[/URL]

Here's some of it
I haven't finished building it yet. Made a frame on wheels for it all, but still deciding on how to frame the front to put all the drawers in and a door on to get to the dust chute. Incra table top and ls fence. Maybe the lift is Incra as well, porter 3 hp router motor.

Ouch

Edit: found this, it's in the background.

You seem to be making out alright with yours. Looks good.

Ok, I'm motivated now. To the drawing board

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I bought this and a Jess-Em lift,
Router Table Top With Microdot Slick Surface-Carbide Router Bits | Router Bit Sets | Shaper Cutters | Saw Blades | Planer Knives | Jointer Knives | Infinity Cutting Tools

and then slapped it to a simple, inexpensive Craftsman "bench tool" support, and added some height with a few extra strips of MDF. It isn't pretty and it doesn't move around easily like something with wheels, but it is safe and I don't fear for my life using it, like I did my router before.

You can make one but I figured for the 1" MDF that it is, and the precision work that it has done to it, it is worth the price to me for what I got. I really like the micro-dot surface too, a really nice surface to work on. And I slide my router table right next to my saw and use it as an extension on those long pieces, and that adds to my safety confidence as well.

You do incredible work, and I really like your solutions you've come up with.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just my .02.
I was in the exact place your are under a year ago (well not quite "exact", I don't have big enough balls to run that router setup!:) ). I was lucky enough to make 1 right call and it changed everything for me. Joey from 12vTools was a god send. Before you pull the trigger on anything, I would highly recommend you give him a ring. He's a wealth of knowledge and the farthest thing from a salesman. He really is there to help and is Mr. Router. Yes Joey, that is your new nickname.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Thanks all for the info. I definitely wanna do a custom rig to tailor to my needs. Will probably get just the top and router lift and build what I need around that. Will have to get another router also..... Crap, I need to pick up a few more side jobs

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Ok so earlier I mentioned that I needed this build to still leave the rear of the jeep fully functional with zero risk of damage to all this expensive gear, so I made some inserts that will be able protect everything and easily remove when I gotta show off.

I cut some pieces that fit into the cut outs. The sub and amp ones will have the middles cut out and a grill put in place to let the amps and sub breath. With the round overs on all the edges, there was a gap in all the pieces and my OCD could not have that.

In this pic, you can see I rabbeted the edges so the dynaglass would have a little more area to bite on to.

Taped up...

Dynaglass jammed in there...

Then I just knocked it all down with the orbital...

Now I have inserts that fit perfectly and will conceal and protect everything when necessary. In fact, they may fit too perfectly. I may have to knock the edges back another 1/8" to allow for the thickness of the carpet. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. At least now I can start wrapping it.

Here's what I chose... Dark graphite carpet and Ash color ostrich leather.

The Leather should be here next week some time. Until then I will finish up the remote and work on getting that digital signal thing going.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
....they may fit too perfectly. I may have to knock the edges back another 1/8" to allow for the thickness of the carpet. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. At least now I can start wrapping it.
They do, and you're going to need a hell of a lot more than 1/8", trust me. In early builds I didn't have enough tolerance and actually used clippers to shave the carpet pile so my inserts would fit. :laugh:

Before you wrap, do some test pieces to see what the spacing needs to be for your carpet. You could fabricate a gauge of sorts to check face to face distance.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
They do, and you're going to need a hell of a lot more than 1/8", trust me. In early builds I didn't have enough tolerance and actually used clippers to shave the carpet pile so my inserts would fit. :laugh:

Before you wrap, do some test pieces to see what the spacing needs to be for your carpet. You could fabricate a gauge of sorts to check face to face distance.

Lmao... Glad you said that. First thing that came to mind last night, was using my clippers to trim the carpet then see how much needed to come off the inserts.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
A trick the Rockford guys taught us was to use double sided tape on the edge of your pieces. One layer for carpet, two for vinyl. Gives you enough clearance and it gives you a nice even gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Its the backing(s) that take all the space, I've found. But dude, awesome work!

Thanks, this carpet actually has no backing. It's the fibers that give it its thickness. Ima just wrap the main peice and go from there.

A trick the Rockford guys taught us was to use double sided tape on the edge of your pieces. One layer for carpet, two for vinyl. Gives you enough clearance and it gives you a nice even gap.

I've heard that trick before. Just with the rounded edges, I think the tape method would have just been more a pain in the ass

·
Registered
113 Posts
Making pretty good progress keeps getting better and better finish line isn't too far off. Can't wait for the next demo...:cool:

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I've heard that trick before. Just with the rounded edges, I think the tape method would have just been more a pain in the ass

Nah, it still works ok. Just add the tape to the area most in the center and roll it onto the rounded section. It's easier than it sounds and works beautifully.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Starting this weekend I'll be working for about the next 60 days straight so Ima just have to get everything done in small increments. Today I managed to get the top piece covered in carpet.

Snagged a spray gun from HF for $15...

I used some weldwood landau top and trim glue. This stuff is the real deal. Sprays pretty easy, gets tacky in about 10 min and still allows you to peel the fabric off and move if necessary. Once u put good bit of pressure on it, it's stuck.

I sprayed the board and back of carpet. Hard to see in the pic.

Applied the carpet

Applied glue to the back side. Cut out the holes and folded over.

And there she is for now. In the last pic you can see the sunlight shining through the lexan sheet. Het an idea of where I'm going with that. The ostrich leather should be in tomorrow. Hoping I'll be able to knock that out real quick, stick the LEDs On there and move on...

241 - 260 of 726 Posts