DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

301 - 320 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My first and last attempt at vinyl, on my ram pillars was an epic fail but I did some homework this time around...

Freaking stoked at how this came out. Can't wait to get the other one done and installed.
First, you should be stoked because that looks fantastic and I've enjoyed your build thread so far.

But come on man, how are you going to make a statement of the problems you had and the homework you did and not share? Bro foul or something. Not cool! :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
First, you should be stoked because that looks fantastic and I've enjoyed your build thread so far.

But come on man, how are you going to make a statement of the problems you had and the homework you did and not share? Bro foul or something. Not cool! :)

The pillars look amazing. Watching your build is really helpful for some questions that I had before starting my own. Great work!

Thanks guys....
Glad someone could take something away from the work I've done.

And ok, I'm sorry, I broke the bro code. It was rookie ass mistakes I made the first time around.

1- used crappy glue
2- didn't use heat.
3- started wrapping in the wrong spot.

This go round I used landau top and trim adhesive. Apply to pillar and fabric, Let it sit for a few min. This way, when u press the vinyl onto the pillar.... It's STUCK!

I made some relief cuts where the speaker hole is and pressed the vinyl around the baffle where the chrome trim is. This allows you to tug and stretch the fabric pretty good. Last time, I couldn't pull too much on the vinyl bc the glue wasn't holding it tight enough. Use the heat to loosen it and press the vinyl down working your way out.

I threw the pillar in the car before work, couldn't wait....

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Thanks all...

Hard to get good Pics in that little dark corner. Still gotta wrap the passenger side. Should have it playing this weekend.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thanks all...

Hard to get good Pics in that little dark corner. Still gotta wrap the passenger side. Should have it playing this weekend.

So..question for you.

I am wondering if you went without the AF speaker grill and had the goal of making the pillar as small and unobtrusive as possible, could you have pushed the speaker toward the pillar more? Looking at your in progress pics, it looks like there is more depth to be had by moving the speaker up about 3/4 inch to let the magnet clear the duct. I am not concerned with using the factory AF grill. I want mine to be completely hidden and the GB seems like the right driver for the task.

Does my logic make sense?

And Bravo good sir!! You really did a good job with those. I really dig it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
So..question for you.

I am wondering if you went without the AF speaker grill and had the goal of making the pillar as small and unobtrusive as possible, could you have pushed the speaker toward the pillar more? Looking at your in progress pics, it looks like there is more depth to be had by moving the speaker up about 3/4 inch to let the magnet clear the duct. I am not concerned with using the factory AF grill. I want mine to be completely hidden and the GB seems like the right driver for the task.

Does my logic make sense?

And Bravo good sir!! You really did a good job with those. I really dig it.

I get what ur saying. I think if you don't use the audiofrog mounting hardware, you could def make the pillar smaller.

The magnet clears the duct as it is now. It's maybe 3/8" from the metal. Moving it up will actually give you less space, but if you tilt the speaker a bit more to the driver, you get more depth.

See here. The red dot is where the magnet would touch metal. A tad to the right, u have more depth

·
Registered
886 Posts
I get what ur saying. I think if you don't use the audiofrog mounting hardware, you could def make the pillar smaller.

The magnet clears the duct as it is now. It's maybe 3/8" from the metal. Moving it up will actually give you less space, but if you tilt the speaker a bit more to the driver, you get more depth.

See here. The red dot is where the magnet would touch metal. A tad to the right, u have more depth

Awesome thanks!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I was just looking at my car (Acura TL) and looks like a similar setup of tweeter in the door sail panel and the mid in the A-pillar would work well for me too. I was originally planning to just build both into the A-pillar but like your setup better. My question for you relates to sound quality and whether you tried various alignments to see what sounded better? Thanks.

PS - I have the AF GB10/GB25 setup as well as the Illusion C3 and C4 component set to test which I like better. Will be using the Illusion C8 midbasses in the door. Not sure on source or subs yet but I'm leaning toward the AE SBP15s in IB. A pair of Alpine PDX-V9s will power everything.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Bravo on the wrapping of the pillar. I've tried multiple times on pillars in the past with zero luck! I can't ever seem to figure out the best way to tackle it. Oh well, I'll just paint them again.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was just looking at my car (Acura TL) and looks like a similar setup of tweeter in the door sail panel and the mid in the A-pillar would work well for me too. I was originally planning to just build both into the A-pillar but like your setup better. My question for you relates to sound quality and whether you tried various alignments to see what sounded better? Thanks.

PS - I have the AF GB10/GB25 setup as well as the Illusion C3 and C4 component set to test which I like better. Will be using the Illusion C8 midbasses in the door. Not sure on source or subs yet but I'm leaning toward the AE SBP15s in IB. A pair of Alpine PDX-V9s will power everything.
You should sell me the gb10/25 combo since you like the illusion better.:D

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You should sell me the gb10/25 combo since you like the illusion better.:D
When I get time in the next few weeks, I'll create little pods I can put in the car and on the desk and do some comparison listening between the GB10/GB25, Illusion C3 set, Illusion C4 set, and may try a few others just for the heck of it. I have some pretty expensive measuring equipment so I will be able to measure response of each set as well. But depending on what Brad comes back with, I may be separating the tweeter and mid slightly instead of having them in a single pod. I'll test both myself but am interested in hearing his feedback.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #317

I can't say I've done extensive testing or measuring of one set up vs the other but I have listened to quite a few in efferent configurations. Mids in pillars, tweets in dash by the windshield, tweets in sails, tweets in the pillar, mids in the dash, etc etc...

The only time I ever heard the stage wider than the vehicle was with the tweets in the sails. I'd have to say it had something to do with reflections of the window (and possibly my lack of tuning skills?) I feel that now, with the capabilities of DSPs and time alignment and such, it doesn't make a huge difference either way. I kinda go for whichever is most convenient. Like in this case, tweets in sails and mids in pillar.

I actually tried to buy a set of c3x for my pillars but the guy was out of stock after I placed my order. I like the idea of the simplicity of the point source.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thanks Brad. I did want to keep the tweets away from the windshield to reduce reflections there byt otherwise was just going to aim, measure, and evaluate different angles and setups.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Little non audio update....

Vinyl wrapped the center stack on the dash. Was a goldish/champagne color. Couldn't stand looking at it anymore

Before...

After...

Still gotta do the trim on the side vents and steering wheel but I think it looks 10x better

·
Registered
886 Posts
Little non audio update....

Vinyl wrapped the center stack on the dash. Was a goldish/champagne color. Couldn't stand looking at it anymore

[/URL]
Did you have to disassemble the dash to wrap it?

I want to transform my interior too.

301 - 320 of 726 Posts