DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yes! Besides the speaker there are actually no holes in the door. There is one panel that opens up, that I used to help get the deadener inside the door. Then covered it in deadener after

View attachment 97498
Watching your progress.

Here is a tip..... use the cigerette lighter plug near the factory sub for a remote turn on wire.
Tip 2...there is enough room in the door jam plug to run an extra wire for bi amping.

That is all...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
IBasso has a new dx80 coming out. Native dsd, dual dacs, dual micro sd slots. Line, headphone, and digital outs. Might be worth looking into. Supposed to be around $369.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
IBasso has a new dx80 coming out. Native dsd, dual dacs, dual micro sd slots. Line, headphone, and digital outs. Might be worth looking into. Supposed to be around $369.

Should have never opened this can of worms. Lol. Started doing some research on these. Mother of god $$$$$$$

That dx80 looks badass. Do you have experience with ibasso in a vehicle?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Not in a vehicle. But I have their dx50 and dx100 (discontinued). Both sound great. If you're up to spending way too much, Astell and Kern will gladly take your thousands for a portable player.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Haha, looked at astell. Then quickly looked away....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445634605.766373.jpg

Better come with a lifetime supply of hi-fi poosay for that price

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Managed to get the passenger side deadened and installed. Here's what's left of the 36sq ft pack...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445806621.177335.jpg

Lol, oops....

Deadener over kill, but I must say there is a drastic level of improvement even just running off of factory power. (And nearly 30sq ft of deadener may have something to do with it) These little TMs have impressive low end and are very transparent. The lower bass immediately moved forward, enough to where I had to feel the door panel to make sure they were playing. Very nice, but I'll wait to get more power and a proper signal sent to them before I give any in depth impressions. Very pleased with them up to now, and I've only just begun.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Taking the week off to work on the Jeep?

Should make some nice progress over the weekend. Mainly getting wired ran so everything's ready to get thrown in place. I've done a little bit but not nothing to brag about but since you brought it up....

Made some tweeter pods that will get glassed into the sail panels. The tweeter is almost the same size as the panel itself so they needed to be low pro as possible. but, for aesthetic purposes, flush mounting is a must.

Turned to the trusty ol PVC couplers since I didn't have hole saws that were the diameter I wanted.

They didn't fit so I had to route the edges a tad so the tweeter would sit flush

And like magic...

Then I used the closest hole saw I had and sanded the crap out them to fit in the coupler so the tweeter will have something to mount to.

Then for no particular reason I painted them.

Got the wires ready to roll....

After that I finally dug into the rear cargo are to see what I was dealing with.....

Ridiculous amount of space for what I'm doing

Sub and amps placed in there just to get an idea

Then I cut out a peice that will be the bottom of the sub box/ amp rack. I will use the oem spare tire tie down in the floor to hold the hole thing in place once it's done.

And that's where I stand. I would like to get the speaker and power wires ran from front to back, and tap into the oem amp to get a signal for the DSP. From there it's getting it all built. The fun part.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Nice, dude!!! Finally some movement out of you! Lol! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Should make some nice progress over the weekend. Mainly getting wired ran so everything's ready to get thrown in place. I've done a little bit but not nothing to brag about but since you brought it up....

And that's where I stand. I would like to get the speaker and power wires ran from front to back, and tap into the oem amp to get a signal for the DSP. From there it's getting it all built. The fun part.

Dang I wish I was your neighbor! I am pretty sure I could watch you work for hours. I might even learn something! It is hard to teach an old Doug new tricks though.

Made some tweeter pods that will get glassed into the sail panels. The tweeter is almost the same size as the panel itself so they needed to be low pro as possible. but, for aesthetic purposes, flush mounting is a must.

And like magic...

Not quite sure I can imaging how those sails are going to look, but I will stick around to find out.

I absolutely love the connections on the R3004s. I piddled around with bullet connections in my install. I like those spades so much better.

Have a Great 1st Turkey day with the young one!

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Sweet, love it.

Looks like you are using that flame-retardant techflex. Love that stuff. Not that I expect my gear to go up in flames, its more of a look thing.

On the connector side of things, you may want to look into XT-60 connectors. I've switched to them and they are just awesome for what we do.

BTW, great work on the mini-routing of the PCV, I'm not even sure how you did that but indeed "like magic". Feel free to share how you did that sometime, I'm having a hard time imagining what procedure was used and how dangerous it was.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Nice, dude!!! Finally some movement out of you! Lol! :)
You telling me.... Finally getting back on a normal routine so should see some more steady progress from me. You know my builds never end quickly.

Dang I wish I was your neighbor! I am pretty sure I could watch you work for hours. I might even learn something! It is hard to teach an old Doug new tricks though.

Not quite sure I can imaging how those sails are going to look, but I will stick around to find out.

I absolutely love the connections on the R3004s. I piddled around with bullet connections in my install. I like those spades so much better.

Have a Great 1st Turkey day with the young one!
Lol, thanks man. Same to you and your family.

.... I actually have a neighbor that comes and hangs out all the time. I like to have admirers. Kinda forces me to not cut any corners.

I cut the pvc couplers down to about .5" deep. I'm just gonna glass them onto the panel, similar to my RAM.

Sweet, love it.

Looks like you are using that flame-retardant techflex. Love that stuff. Not that I expect my gear to go up in flames, its more of a look thing.

On the connector side of things, you may want to look into XT-60 connectors. I've switched to them and they are just awesome for what we do.

BTW, great work on the mini-routing of the PCV, I'm not even sure how you did that but indeed "like magic". Feel free to share how you did that sometime, I'm having a hard time imagining what procedure was used and how dangerous it was.

Wait..... I though tech flex added SQ? Crap. Lol.

I'll look into those connectors for sure. I hate having to go through 10 spade connectors to find 2 that fit tight enough before I heat shrink them on.

Admittedly, I have done some very sketchy shit with a router in my days. In my old age I'm learning value my fingers and finding ways to work smarter so these rings weren't very dangerous.

Whip out the trusty $99 router and table combo I got 4 years ago...

Adjust so the coupler doesn't move too much...

Spin the coupler. Shaved just a bit off at a time u til I got the width I needed. Fingers stay out of harm way.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Holy shit that's scary! But probably the safest way to do this.

The more and more I mess with fabrication, the more I want a ~$350 Maker 3D printer to make it so much easier.

And here's a link to the XT60's I buy:

Lots 10 Pairs 20pcs XT 60 Male Female Bullet Connectors RC Hobby Battery Plugs | eBay

Other people have them too, different bulk sizes, but some people sell junk versions. These I linked have done well, not melting at the sight of a soldering iron, for instance. I usually get them in 10-20 pair batches, which lasts a while.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
That's a great idea with the router and pvc... I usually spend 18 weeks looking for the right diameter and then cry when I can't find it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Holy shit that's scary! But probably the safest way to do this.

The more and more I mess with fabrication, the more I want a ~$350 Maker 3D printer to make it so much easier.

And here's a link to the XT60's I buy:

Lots 10 Pairs 20pcs XT 60 Male Female Bullet Connectors RC Hobby Battery Plugs | eBay

Other people have them too, different bulk sizes, but some people sell junk versions. These I linked have done well, not melting at the sight of a soldering iron, for instance. I usually get them in 10-20 pair batches, which lasts a while.

Those look badass. Gonna give them a shot. Thanks.

That's a great idea with the router and pvc... I usually spend 18 weeks looking for the right diameter and then cry when I can't find it.

I used to do that but I got tired of looks I would get from people when I was walking around lowes trying to jam a little speaker into random things. Had to learn to improvise a bit. Lol

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Those look badass. Gonna give them a shot. Thanks.

I used to do that but I got tired of looks I would get from people when I was walking around lowes trying to jam a little speaker into random things. Had to learn to improvise a bit. Lol
I know what you mean, I have done my share of jamming into random things (just not at Lowes)... Lol! :eek:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Managed a bit of progress this weekend. Sub was a tad too deep for where the bottom of the enclosure would have been so I dropped it down about 3/4".

Half assed layout idea. Mainly to get an idea of space. Keep in mind there will be a 3rd amp in the mix.

And once I cut the hole, sub box is complete. Quickest most simple box I've ever built.

What Ima do is use the jeep oem floor and add another layer of mdf to the bottom of it to add some dimension to the whole thing. There will be some cut outs to display the sub and amps and some filler panels to protect them when I gotta throw all our crap back there. Not much of an update but I finally feel like this builds starting to get somewhere.

41 - 60 of 726 Posts