DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 753 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Managed a bit of progress this weekend. Sub was a tad too deep for where the bottom of the enclosure would have been so I dropped it down about 3/4".

What Ima do is use the jeep oem floor and add another layer of mdf to the bottom of it to add some dimension to the whole thing. There will be some cut outs to display the sub and amps and some filler panels to protect them when I gotta throw all our crap back there. Not much of an update but I finally feel like this builds starting to get somewhere.
Damn, that is looking cool! You sure have a ton of space in that thing...

I realized that nice thing about all the subs and amps in the back is they take care of any issues with rake you might have had! Lol

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Easy now... the last time someone chanted that, shit got really out of hand! Lmao!

Lmao.... Funniest shit I heard all day

Damn, that is looking cool! You sure have a ton of space in that thing...

I realized that nice thing about all the subs and amps in the back is they take care of any issues with rake you might have had! Lol

Thanks. Sure is a buncha room but the sub and amps take up real estate quick. Glad I'll be able to maintain the stock floor and hide everything

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Brad you my friend need an air-nailer and compressor for Christmas. The ~$35 brad/staple nailer from Walmart + a quality hose from Harbor Freight or similar + a nice compressor (not from Walmart, lol) = super duper awesome time saver not having to use screws and countersinks all the time, and brads are so much cheaper, it actually ends up paying for itself in a short time both in time saved and in just cost of materials.

Santa could also see fit to give you a router lift (just bought a Jess Em myself) and big table to use it. You certainly have the skills to work it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Brad you my friend need an air-nailer and compressor for Christmas. The ~$35 brad/staple nailer from Walmart + a quality hose from Harbor Freight or similar + a nice compressor (not from Walmart, lol) = super duper awesome time saver not having to use screws and countersinks all the time, and brads are so much cheaper, it actually ends up paying for itself in a short time both in time saved and in just cost of materials.

Santa could also see fit to give you a router lift (just bought a Jess Em myself) and big table to use it. You certainly have the skills to work it.

Ha! Preaching to the choir there bud. I desperately need to step my shop game up. I actually have a compressor but haven't installed the 220 plug to get it going yet. I also have plans to build a new router/work table but with free time harder to come by, I have to choose my projects accordingly... So audio it is for now.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Ha! Preaching to the choir there bud. I desperately need to step my shop game up. I actually have a compressor but haven't installed the 220 plug to get it going yet. I also have plans to build a new router/work table but with free time harder to come by, I have to choose my projects accordingly... So audio it is for now.
LOL I figured you probably had plans already, and some start to it. Dude you do great work, definitely treat yourself when you can and it should pay off just in time saved alone. Even a cheesy pancake compressor and tank w/ an inexpensive nailer (like the pretty good Walmart one) should pay you back quickly. Good for home projects too, when the big bad 220 compressor can't be used. I usually have to make excuses like that to my wife to get these toys, but in this case it actually has been a true payoff. Hours turn into minutes with the damn thing. Seriously, just pick one up on your way home, say it was a Black Friday special, whatevs. hahah.

BTW it was that kind of push that got me to buy a new DeWalt saw (the rack and pinion one w/ the extended stock holder) and the Jess Em, and that push came from members on here trying to spend my money for me, but in the end I'm super happy I was pushed into it. Build quality and speed are more than worth it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
More baby steps.....

Top baffle. This will actually be a part of the false floor that will be able to take in and out the car.

Here you can see it's all still below the oem floor line

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Nice work

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Making me itch to get started on my 15 Durango man!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sub'd, awesome build so far.

I have always loved the Grand Cherokee. I'm thinking about trading my Sorento in for one or a Ram, undecided....anyways.

Curious though. You are using an AF 12d4, I looked at their specs and they call for a 1ft3 enclosure. From the pics here it seems like your enclosure is much larger than recommended. Am I mistaken by the picture, what is your take on this?

How deep is the spare tire area? Is it more beneficial to have the sub in the floor rather than in the side pocket for SUVs? Is their some acoustical advantage for placing them there or just preference for space and functionality?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Sub'd, awesome build so far.

I have always loved the Grand Cherokee. I'm thinking about trading my Sorento in for one or a Ram, undecided....anyways.

Curious though. You are using an AF 12d4, I looked at their specs and they call for a 1ft3 enclosure. From the pics here it seems like your enclosure is much larger than recommended. Am I mistaken by the picture, what is your take on this?

How deep is the spare tire area? Is it more beneficial to have the sub in the floor rather than in the side pocket for SUVs? Is their some acoustical advantage for placing them there or just preference for space and functionality?

Thanks man.

I love this jeep. I had a ram before this, loved it too until it was totaled.

The pics may be a bit deceiving. The enclosure is 32 X 7.75 X 12.5. That's about 1.2 cuft before sub displacement so it's right where it needs to be. The spare tire area varies, but on average is about 9" deep. If I would have fiberglassed the bottom of the enclosure I could have gotten a few more inches.

As far as advantages of floor vs side quarter panel, I honestly don't know if there's an acoustical advantage. For me it was done for functionality and ease of install because Im not in the mood to do any fiberglass work at this time.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Wow 9" depth, that allows for a lot of possibilities for subs and equipment.

As for the advantage, I understand the functionality aspect of that. I too have been looking for options to allow for the incorporation of the equipment that gives me great SQ value but continues to allow me to use my cargo as full as possible.

Looking forward to see where you decide to place the Tweets and if you consider adding 3" mids, where you might place them?

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Get at it!.... I looked hard into the durangos too. the third row kinda turned me off to them
Bc I need the room in the back instead.

LOL Seats fold down yo. I'm going to go w/ ID big 6x9's (Magik's got great deals on em), some low-playing tweets in the factory location which is probably the most well thought-out, best-made tweeter location I've ever seen, and then I need to figure out the center channel. All with an MS-8, still the king of center IMO.

·
Registered
356 Posts
LOL Seats fold down yo. I'm going to go w/ ID big 6x9's (Magik's got great deals on em), some low-playing tweets in the factory location which is probably the most well thought-out, best-made tweeter location I've ever seen, and then I need to figure out the center channel. All with an MS-8, still the king of center IMO.
I be curious to how that turns out. I've got a 15' Durango R/T and just haven't found the time to start the build. The stock stereo pretty much uses the 6x9's for sub duty as is. Aside from some vibration and resonances in the door panels, it doesn't sound terrible. I've been following this build thread since I haven't seen any 3rd Gen Durango builds and the GC is so similar. Plus...motivation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yea I know, then I wouldn't have a huge hole
In the floor to put subs and amps in.

Well, if you removed the 3rd row there is a fair amount of space to be used in its place. Building a false floor that is level with the stock cargo lid could yield a stock appearance and more cargo space as well.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I be curious to how that turns out. I've got a 15' Durango R/T and just haven't found the time to start the build. The stock stereo pretty much uses the 6x9's for sub duty as is. Aside from some vibration and resonances in the door panels, it doesn't sound terrible. I've been following this build thread since I haven't seen any 3rd Gen Durango builds and the GC is so similar. Plus...motivation.
It definitely doesn't sound bad! I'm with you, the resonance in the panel is really the only major downfall. One thing I love about the stock system is the amazing imaging just by itself, especially in the mid-bass region. I can't wait to improve upon it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yea I know, then I wouldn't have a huge hole
In the floor to put subs and amps in.
Well, if you removed the 3rd row there is a fair amount of space to be used in its place. Building a false floor that is level with the stock cargo lid could yield a stock appearance and more cargo space as well.
It definitely doesn't sound bad! I'm with you, the resonance in the panel is really the only major downfall. One thing I love about the stock system is the amazing imaging just by itself, especially in the mid-bass region. I can't wait to improve upon it.
1. Huge hole- I feel ya! Some of us however are nuts enough to put huge holes on the floor. LOL

2. Third row seat- Us GC brothers do not have a third row.

3. Stock Imaging and midbass- I was pretty impressed with the stock system as it was. All but the speed dependent volume. That thing drove me nuts. I was really impressed with the capacity of the doors to pound out midbass. Those 6x9 MB/subs do a great job for a factory setup.

4. Stock Load floor- This thing is a resonance monster. If you do not add weight then you will hear the thing. The reason why I cut the bottom plastic out of my load floor is 1. to put a perforated grill in and 2. because my sub was vibrating the crap out of that thing causing a huge loss of spl. So make sure you add weight to that load floor or it will shake like a crackhead. I simply cut the bottom out of the floor and added 3/4 MDF to it. I then covered the bottom with trunk liner.

61 - 80 of 753 Posts