DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
That looks heavy.

Are the Amps secured on both sides or just the exposed side?
He is taking care of a 1/2" of rake at the same time. ;)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Love it! Looks awesome! I think each build you do, you one-up your last build!
Thanks. Always movin forward. This was supposed to by a simpler build too.

That looks heavy.

Are the Amps secured on both sides or just the exposed side?

Amps will be secured on both ends. Then I will cut a hole just to show off the tops. Like the red below ...

·
Registered
861 Posts
How is the sound of the sub upfiring in an SUV?

I really want to do an enclosure like yours with two 15"s just wondering if you have any pros/cons to the sound. Currently have two 12's downfiring, but think the hollow cargo space is affecting certain frequencys...dont know for sure but only thing I have yet to try is to do like yours and make the cargo the actual enclosure. plus will gain extra storage space for stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
How is the sound of the sub upfiring in an SUV?

I really want to do an enclosure like yours with two 15"s just wondering if you have any pros/cons to the sound. Currently have two 12's downfiring, but think the hollow cargo space is affecting certain frequencys...dont know for sure but only thing I have yet to try is to do like yours and make the cargo the actual enclosure. plus will gain extra storage space for stuff.

Thanks

This particular setup I haven't heard but I used to have a magnum with 4 - 8"s in the same configuration. It sounded good enough for me not to hesitate to do it again. The extra storage is just a bonus.

·
Registered
886 Posts
This particular setup I haven't heard but I used to have a magnum with 4 - 8"s in the same configuration. It sounded good enough for me not to hesitate to do it again. The extra storage is just a bonus.
Just checking. Did you leave enough space for the sub excursion?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Just checking. Did you leave enough space for the sub excursion?

There will be a cutout on the top board that will expose the sub. Just waiting for my templates to come in.

After that I will build some panels to put in place for when I need to throw anything back there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did you switch from the audiofrog sub to something else? Ground Zero? Just curious about why you switched if you did. Thanks

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Did you switch from the audiofrog sub to something else? Ground Zero? Just curious about why you switched if you did. Thanks

Nah i didn't switch, that's just a DIYMA R12 I had lying around. Just using it for fitment. Didn't wanna risk damaging the frog from moving it around and trying to clean sawdust off it constantly.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Brad! Been a while! Hope all is well!
Your build is great! Those amps are beastly and look like they mean business.
They kinda remind me of the TRU amps...I've heard great things!
I love that sub, hope you do too!
Can't wait for you to fire the system up and get your impressions....I'd like to hear your thoughts on going from a Ram to this rad Grand Cherokee when it comes to how the audio sounds. I've had my eyes on the Grand Cherokee for years now. Great build, great work man!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
It looks like, if you needed it or if it would lower the Q of the box, that you could build a little air space in underneath the amp rack itself since they are on those risers.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Hey Brad! Been a while! Hope all is well!
Your build is great! Those amps are beastly and look like they mean business.
They kinda remind me of the TRU amps...I've heard great things!
I love that sub, hope you do too!
Can't wait for you to fire the system up and get your impressions....I'd like to hear your thoughts on going from a Ram to this rad Grand Cherokee when it comes to how the audio sounds. I've had my eyes on the Grand Cherokee for years now. Great build, great work man!
What's up my man. Has been a minute. Hope all is well on your end too.

Not a whole lot of info out there in these amps. Most reviews I found had to be translated to English. They're pretty small for class AB but built like little tanks and the pics don't do the brushed casing any justice. I have pretty high expectations of them. Actually the 2 channel is being delivered today so the trifecta will be complete.

Build is going slower than I planned but the little one has taken a lot more of my time than I expected, but wouldn't have it any other way.

I pretty much have everything I need on hand so hopefully I'll get this beast making some noise soon. One of my worries is the smaller size of the jeep compared to the ram. Not even really sure if that has a pos or neg effect on the sound but we'll find out shortly.

It looks like, if you needed it or if it would lower the Q of the box, that you could build a little air space in underneath the amp rack itself since they are on those risers.

There's a bit of room under the amps but I think it's good for now..... Until I upgrade to 2 AF 12"s . Lol. Hopefully I don't feel the need to.

I got some router templates and started playing with some design ideas.

Most likely will end up with something similar to this for the bottom part of the false floor.

The top part will be kinda like this...

Top will be carpeted and the bottom layer will be vinyl or suede or something for contrast.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Got the gzua 2.250 in yesterday. Love the smell of brand new electronics. Crappy pic

Started making some cuts also.

This makes my pants tight...

Top layer cut also. Eventually there will be some lexan and LEDs in the mix.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
My original plan was to do some cut outs around the sub but it's a little too close to the amp cut out than I would like to have done what I planned so I'm tossing around some ideas. What y'all think.

Mad ms paint skills in 3...2...1...

My plan is to wrap the top piece in carpet to match the rest of the interior and the bottom piece in vinyl or suede or something. Not sure yet

I feel it looks a little too plain as it sits now. One recommendation was some raised foam insert which could be pretty cool. Any other ideas or recommendations.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
My original plan was to do some cut outs around the sub but it's a little too close to the amp cut out than I would like to have done what I planned so I'm tossing around some ideas. What y'all think.

Mad ms paint skills in 3...2...1...

My plan is to wrap the top piece in carpet to match the rest of the interior and the bottom piece in vinyl or suede or something. Not sure yet

I feel it looks a little too plain as it sits now. One recommendation was some raised foam insert which could be pretty cool. Any other ideas or recommendations.
Two ideas came to my mind: 1. Add some aluminum accents in the form of trim pieces, or cutout shapes? 2. Work the company logos into the cover somehow with Lexan and backlit, etc.?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Really digging it. Those templates sure are nice. I don't think it looks too plain but ms paint option number two would be my vote if you go that route.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
This?

You could make the backing on the cutouts a really thin sheet of aluminum, it would look awesome with leds illuminating it...

I realize it's asymmetrical with the other cutout, but I was mixing it up a lil. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Two ideas came to my mind: 1. Add some aluminum accents in the form of trim pieces, or cutout shapes? 2. Work the company logos into the cover somehow with Lexan and backlit, etc.?
Ground Frog logo! If either company pays me I'll gladly post their logos all over my shit. There's definitely gonna be some plexi and LEDs. The edges will be chamfered or rounded to clean it up. I like the aluminum idea too. Gotta see how I can work that in

Really digging it. Those templates sure are nice. I don't think it looks too plain but ms paint option number two would be my vote if you go that route.

Great minds think alike, was just working on this... Cleaned it up some. Then I can use that space for logos or designs or whatever

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes! I like the symmetrical look of it all.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Ground Frog logo!
Audio Zero?! Lol

I like that design too... Maybe make the inner lines curved to mimic the shape of the sub? A sheet aluminum in the cutouts?

101 - 120 of 726 Posts