DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my brahma 12 arrived. I've included a non eqed measurement.

I'm pretty disappointed in output. With its throw I was hoping it would be in the ballpark of a ported w6 12. That's just not the case. My last w612 absolutely pounded when I wanted it. That may not seem like a fair comparison to judge 1 12 sealed vs 1 ported but the brahma has a ton more xmax.
It's nowhere near enough output for me sealed.

I've tuned it a bit and smoothed out the response. It didnt take much.

The good. Its clean. Very , very clean. Nice texture.

I can tell its moving some air. It bounces my windshield wipers more than 2 frog gb10s in a ported enclosure but sounds like around about half of the output.

It has no problem hitting any note thrown at it with grace and authority. It's a really solid sq sub.

The bad. I never imagined it would bottom out so quickly on 1200w.
I feel like as soon as it starts getting to the output I want its reaching its mechnail limits.

If I'm going to keep it I am definilty going to have to find a way to port it .

1v1 a gb 10 vs the brahma 12 I feel like output sounds to be about the same. That makes no need sense to me but I am guessing it's due to how clean the brahma is.
I feel like the gb 10 with almost half the xmax actually felt tighter and more punchy with a firmer blow to the chest.

I know I'm just expecting too much from a sealed 12. It reminds me of the w7 8. I was expecting a LOT more output.

If you're in the market for a super clean 12 that can deliver great bass at normal sq levels is have no problem recommending the brahma.

If you are looking for a single sub solution for sql I dont believe this is it.

In all fairness the box is a bit small at .66 but I will try a larger enclosure and a ported enclosure before I give up and will return to this thread with my thoughts, but as of right now I'm back to searching for a 12 with more ouput.

If any of you are familiar how would you compare the brahma 12 to a jlw7 12 in terms of output?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The only subwoofer that I had that could outdo my ported GB12 in perceived SPL was my ported Sundown SA12. That stupid thing on 1200 watts was insane! You might want to look at least a Sundown SA series, maybe something even more powerful with three times the amplifier power. Also, sealed my GB12 is borderline anemic compared to it ported because that is to be expected of any sealed vs properly ported configuration. Actually my ported Sundown SD310 in my truck is impressive because it goes so low and seems to have that just right sound. The SA series has more distortion but that’s not necessarily a bad thing in a subwoofer. I never had a JL W6 (but listened to them) but I have owned a few of their lower models and they never disappointed.

I’m pretty sure you’re more of an SPL guy and I think 1200 watts with one 12 sealed just ain’t going to cut it for you no matter the brand. Your perception of the W6 being superior I think is off since so much time has gone by since that time you owned it. I had an opportunity to listen to a pair of sealed W6 and they were comparable to my GB12 ported. You also have to give that Brama time to break in. All subwoofers get louder as their suspension breaks in.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only subwoofer that I had that could outdo my ported GB12 in perceived SPL was my ported Sundown SA12. That stupid thing on 1200 watts was insane! You might want to look at least a Sundown SA series, maybe something even more powerful with three times the amplifier power. Also, sealed my GB12 is borderline anemic compared to it ported because that is to be expected of any sealed vs properly ported configuration. Actually my ported Sundown SD310 in my truck is impressive because it goes so low and seems to have that just right sound. The SA series has more distortion but that’s not necessarily a bad thing in a subwoofer. I never had a JL W6 (but listened to them) but I have owned a few of their lower models and they never disappointed.

I’m pretty sure you’re more of an SPL guy and I think 1200 watts with one 12 sealed just ain’t going to cut it for you no matter the brand. Your perception of the W6 being superior I think is off since so much time has gone by since that time you owned it. I had an opportunity to listen to a pair of sealed W6 and they were comparable to my GB12 ported. You also have to give that Brama time to break in. All subwoofers get louder as their suspension breaks in.
My time with w6 12s was extensive. Ive run them since v1. 2 ported w6 v2s could suck the roof of my explorer in almost 2 inches on 1000w. Of course the tuning was around 40hz.

In my last truck, 1 w6 12 v3 was more than enough and those focal utopias the subs were mated to had 460w per side available to them. The sub had no issues keeping up. The Brahma is barely keeping up the the frog gb's. BARELY. I cannot turn the volume up to what I normally could without the sub giving up. I'm not used to having subs quit before the mids. I've never had this issue before .

I dont think think the w6 is "better" driver by any means. I just know their ouput capability.

I haven't given up. I'm going to throw a couple thousand more watts at this brahma and see if I can get a bit more out of it. Finding a way to port it is turning out to be a real pain though due to box design limitations.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My time with w6 12s was extensive. Ive run them since v1. 2 ported w6 v2s could suck the roof of my explorer in almost 2 inches on 1000w. Of course the tuning was around 40hz.

In my last truck, 1 w6 12 v3 was more than enough and those focal utopias the subs were mated to had 460w per side available to them. The sub had no issues keeping up. The Brahma is barely keeping up the the frog gb's. BARELY. I cannot turn the volume up to what I normally could without the sub giving up. I'm not used to having subs quit before the mids. I've never had this issue before .

I dont think think the w6 is "better" driver by any means. I just know their ouput capability.

I haven't given up. I'm going to throw a couple thousand more watts at this brahma and see if I can get a bit more out of it. Finding a way to port it is turning out to be a real pain though due to box design limitations.
What amp are you using with it? If it's bottoming out on 1200 watts, will more watts help with that?

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
543 Posts
I think the enclosure is too small, why did you switch from the w6v3?

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Enclosure is for sure to small. And again with this type of sub as I and others said. It wont sound as loud but on the meter it will be just as loud or louder.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well 3 things.

1. As far as i can see on their site. They don't list an enclosure size outright. You have to look in their "loaded" enclosures section to get an answer. They sell their 12 in a 1.0 cuft enclosure. Idk if that's with or without displacement included.

2. The sensitivities between your chosen drivers are far far different. The brahma is 84.93 dB @ 1W/1m, the audiofrog gb12 is 95 dB at 2.83 volts. Those are HUGE differences.

3. Its been proven over and over that we perceive a signal with distortion to be louder. IDK if you have ever heard another XBL driver but its insane how transparent they are.

Build a bigger box and give yourself a 15hz 24db SSF

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Well 3 things.

1. As far as i can see on their site. They don't list an enclosure size outright. You have to look in their "loaded" enclosures section to get an answer. They sell their 12 in a 1.0 cuft enclosure. Idk if that's with or without displacement included.

2. The sensitivities between your chosen drivers are far far different. The brahma is 84.93 dB @ 1W/1m, the audiofrog gb12 is 95 dB at 2.83 volts. Those are HUGE differences.

3. Its been proven over and over that we perceive a signal with distortion to be louder. IDK if you have ever heard another XBL driver but its insane how transparent they are.

Build a bigger box and give yourself a 15hz 24db SSF
Exactly. It's the xbl. That's why I'm saying it will meter louder but wont sound as loud.

Brahmas do get loud.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Exactly. It's the xbl. That's why I'm saying it will meter louder but wont sound as loud.

Brahmas do get loud.

Its a combination of the 3. 6-10db difference(accounting for voltage difference) in sensitivity is like having another driver on double or quadruple the power. its a big fucking deal.

Half the enclosure size is going to severely limit output.

and yes. XBL

Has anyone metered one yet?

·
Registered
139 Posts
What happens next? Brahma X, Kali?

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
I tried to tell you, you tend to be a little basshead and will thus never be satisfied with Adire. What you were thinking, I do not know.

And I don't like that company, its history, its product, etc, anyhow and have been banned off several groups on Facebook just for voicing that opinion. They like to do this subversive advertising thing where they take over a forum or facebook group and advertise essentially for free. Worse than SI all day, and that is saying something.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I tried to tell you, you tend to be a little basshead and will thus never be satisfied with Adire. What you were thinking, I do not know.

And I don't like that company, its history, its product, etc, anyhow and have been banned off several groups on Facebook just for voicing that opinion. They like to do this subversive advertising thing where they take over a forum or facebook group and advertise essentially for free. Worse than SI all day, and that is saying something.
Ironic they are both xbl2 companies

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,300 Posts

You were banned because you posted something negative about the company and refused to answer questions or provide any backup as to why. When we realized that you were GEM from diyma, we saved ourselves future hassle and did it sooner than later. Sorry not sorry.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Incidentally just installed a Tumult an hour back in 1.7 cu ft ported box. It replaced my Ultimo. Initial impressions are nice. Goes loud enough for me and maintains composure while doing so. Need it to break in and tune and then test further.

For the OP I would recommend to use a 1 cu ft box and then try

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
With as clean as the sound is from the XBL² motor, I'm surprised you have it crossed over so low. When I had my XXX 12" mkI, I could cross it over near 100Hz, and yes while it did add to the localization of it, it was so clean that it blended so well with the rest of the speakers. Sometimes people use a very low LPF to keep a typical overhung subs from producing too much distortion that is localizable (because they are multiples of a given frequency). But the cleaner the sub is, the less this is a problem, IMO. Same with my W10GTi. I could cross that sucker at 115-120Hz and it just sounded sooooo good! Even though I could tell it was coming from the rear of the car in the trunk, the bass lines sounded sweeeeeet!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
We already discovered from your other threads that you want high distortion sub-bass, now you have experienced first hand why. The distortion gives the perception of more output, which most people really like. The Brahma should still get plenty loud, but it is your fault that you bought an ultra low distortion sub, when you like lots of low frequency distortion.

Literally everything you post suggests that you don't actually care about SQ, or at least you define the term differently than the way most people would define the term. You want SPL, nothing wrong with that, but shopping for low distortion xbl motored subs is going to leave you disappointed.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts