DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

having a bit of brain fart here. but i have a friend who told me that someone got into his car, (2013 Camry), which he left unlocked one night, and took a spare metal key he would use to get in and out of his car when he would warm it up in the winter with the regular key.

now he feels that he wants an aftermarket alarm, so he knows if that person with the key comes back to try and open the car again.

my question is, if he adds an aftermarket alarm, even if the person comes back with the spare metal key, the aftermarket alarm should still go off correct? what i am afraid of, is that since alot of these installs are now done through data, (instead of wring to the door triggers) that the car will un arm itself, and unarm the aftermarket alarm. its been quite some time since i have done a full alarm and remote start system.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The aftermarket alarm should not disarm if someone unlocks the vehicle with a key....unless the alarm has a separate disarm input and you connected it to the driver's door key cylinder "disarm" wire which usually provides a ground when a key is turned in the cylinder.
On select vehicles some aftermarket interfaces (i.e. ADS/iDatalink) allow you to disarm/arm the aftermarket alarm from the OEM key fob, but not from the vehicles door cylinders.
I would test all this after you install the alarm. If the alarm disarms from the door key cylinder then cut the factory "disarm" wire inside of the door (or locate it at the BCM).

Note: If this person comes back with a valid ignition key, they may disarm the alarm by turning the ignition on and pressing the valet button. You may want to disconnect the valet wire at the alarm module after you finish the install and programming.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The aftermarket alarm should not disarm if someone unlocks the vehicle with a key....unless the alarm has a separate disarm input and you connected it to the driver's door key cylinder "disarm" wire which usually provides a ground when a key is turned in the cylinder.
On select vehicles some aftermarket interfaces (i.e. ADS/iDatalink) allow you to disarm/arm the aftermarket alarm from the OEM key fob, but not from the vehicles door cylinders.
I would test all this after you install the alarm. If the alarm disarms from the door key cylinder then cut the factory "disarm" wire inside of the door (or locate it at the BCM).

Note: If this person comes back with a valid ignition key, they may disarm the alarm by turning the ignition on and pressing the valet button. You may want to disconnect the valet wire at the alarm module after you finish the install and programming.
hey man, thanks for the reply. i thought so. i am going to do this with an idatalink ALCA and a Viper 5607, looks like my buddy wants that. im not afraid of said person coming back, the key is just for the doors. its not a spare G key, or even a valet, its just a metal key to open the doors.

thanks again for the help, not sure why i had a moment there. i didnt think the key would disarm the aftermarket alarm. ive been doing mostly remote starts nowadays and cannot remember the last alarm i did. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts