DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you connect an iPad to an iPod dock on a car stereo and still charge it while it's in use? A Lightning to 30-pin adapter will handle the signals, but the iPad draws too much juice for an iPod charging circuit. I would guess what's needed would be a branching cable with a Lightning connector at one end and separate power and signal connections at the other. Anybody know of such?

·
Registered
11,974 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Over time the ipod charger could possibly fail. You are connecting more load to the converter than it is rated for
The iPad cannot draw more current than the charger will supply, whether an iPod or an iPad the charger will supply the same level of current. What it is rated for is what it will supply, this is entirely independent of the device connected.

It will not fail, it just won't charge as fast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The iPad cannot draw more current than the charger will supply, whether an iPod or an iPad the charger will supply the same level of current. What it is rated for is what it will supply, this is entirely independent of the device connected.

It will not fail, it just won't charge as fast.

I don't know the exact internals of the converter, but with if you put a larger load on then there will be more current. There is probably a current limit on the converter set somewhere slightly above the rating on the charger and resistors will dissipate the rest through heat.

·
Registered
246 Posts
no reason the ipad wont charge on an ipod charger. the ipod charger puts out less current so it will charger slower. wont hurt a thing.

can i use my iphone charger to charge my ipad? - Apple Store (U.S.)
That's not true. An ipod charger won't hurt anything but it won't charge either. Especially if you are using it and even worse if it's dead or almost dead. Ipod chargers would charge the iPad 2 but once the retina displays arrived, iPod chargers stopped working for this. Most of the time, you will get a "not charging" Next to the battery meter. Or you may see a charging icon but you'll notice the charge indicator going down with use.

Btw, the mini is basically an ipad 2 so it will charge with an iPod charger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts