1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 05' Subaru LGT Sedan

I will be geared as close to SQ as my budget will allow me LOL

Here we go...

Head Unit/Processor: I loved my previous Alpine + Imprint. Unfortunately they do not make a dash kit for this vehicle! I will be using my stock stereo, but it will be matched with an Alpine PXA H660:) Or possibly a R.F. 360 if I can find one around here....

Front Stage: This needs a lot of attention. So I am chillin in my room loooking across at the shelf and there sits a set of Boston Pro's and a set of DLS ultimates. The Pro's are an older set, equipped with metal dome tweets, far too harsh for my liking. The DLS, well love their soft domes, love the "natural sound" however I miss my mid-bass the Pro's fed me:( I would like to try to head "Active" with Raw drivers. Since this will be my 1st time, lets try 2 way to start off with:)

Before I state my circumstances, I will say that I do not wish to tamper with my door panels. I am very accustomed with fiberglass and plan on fabricating some kicks for my mids, and A-Pillars for Tweeters. Remember, SQ is my Gear.

MIDS: Depth is not an issue! Diamter is, Not much room up front. 5.25" would be ideal, however if its worth going with larger drivers, please notify! Kick panels will be set up in that drivers will be on axis. I would like to spend (ballpark) 150 per mid, 125 sounds better:) I have ordered from Madisound and parts express and have great luck, I hope to order some more products from them again.

Tweets: As stated earlier, tweets will be in A-Pillars. A-Pillars will be fiberglassed as well, so I am open and free to do anything I want with them. Diameter no problem here, I have 3.5" + to work with. I would like soft domes again. Budet is 100 per tweet, 75 sounds better:) Remember this is ballpark, If it is worth it to go 500 plus on my front stage (just the tweeters and mids) than I will do so.

Staging: What's your input on staging a 2 way active for BOTH the driver and passenger. I have heard MANY ways. I know Go ahead and tell me, double sided tape.

Substage: I already own an IDQ 10" and hope to use it again

Amplifiers(s): No amps yet! I hope to purchase a compact 5 channel amplifier. It'd be ideal to run a siingle amplifier in my application, for simplicty and weight. I was looking into MB Quart's Q series. Great 4 channel amp for 2 way active at a great price, so I have heard

Scanspeak?

BTW, I just got back from lowes with 4 rolls of Peel and Seal. Lets hope this works as well as dynamat.

·
Registered
199 Posts
scanspeak is fantastic, so far its my favorite brand. But research well, there are many good drivers that can be had at a fraction of the cost of scanspeak, like Peerless, Vifa, Dayton. But if you want to spend that much on drivers I'd recommend the 15w8530k00 revelator, it has fantastic extention, will take 200 watts with an 80hz hpf in a 10l ported box, and is the smoothest driver ive heard to date

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a 6" driver correct?

I am in the process of glassing my kicks. I took my OEM kicks out. I used those as molds and now have a great base to work with.

The only thing I will be giving up here is my dead pedal. I do not wish to extend any furthur out to my Brake and Gas. Saying that, 5.25" is the Ideal way to go. I quickly made a small circular pod, and mounted it to my fiberglass base. I quickly wrapped some fabric around it, and threw it in my vehicle to check space. My pods are 6" 3/8 in diameter, perferct for 5.25" The kicks extend flush with my dead pedal, I do not wish to go any furthur out So it looks like any 6" drivers are thrown out.

Unless! The way my pods are set up is that they are at a roughly 40 degree angle, I have them imaged towards the dome light. I left myself 3" of depth which I figured would be plenty for most small mid drivers. I CAN go with a larger driver if I can shorten my depth up. Meaning if I can find a driver with 2.5" or evan 2.75" depth, than I would mostly likely be able to go with a larger diameter driver. Hope this makes sense?

I know I said I made a clone of my OEM kicks as a base. They are as close to my frame as I can get them. I wish My floor was 3" wider lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
At 5.9" it would be worth the squeeze

If you lower the output of the tweeter on the prose set you have it wouldnt be nearly as harsh and you would save ~$500. Or if you want i'll take the tweeters off of the pro set to match with my spz60's :) To be honest i never thought the tweets were that harsh, but it could just be in the crossover

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
A subaru with 5.25's in the front... are you sure?

My Metra App (Metra online, check it out) says otherwise and well, I've been a Subaru guy for 12yrs now, and pretty much everything is 6.5" in the front...

I've got "7's" on my factory spacer (6.75" Pioneer 720PRS) with a kartboy spacer under that.. and this is in a 2000 RS, one of the MOST difficult to fit big drivers in...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That maybe a 5.25" driver in the OEM location. Please re-read my thread, it states that I will NOT be using OEM locations. Mids will Be in fiberglassed kicks, and tweets in fiberglassed A pillars. I used OEM locations on my previous vehicle, hated them. Mids were flush mounted in OEM locations postioned off axis. They were aiming towards my Ankles, well my ears aren't anywhere near that.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If depth is not an issue then go for Scan Illuminators over Revelators. They are not QUITE as good in small signal distortion (but not far off!) but they are underhung and more linear and will have better distortion at higher output levels. Unless cost is an issue in which case $3xx per woofer would be too much for most... heh. (I just want to see someone use them!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
300 per woofer! Last time I checked I thought they ran 200 on madisound?????

I was at college today, and I just heard a pair of Seas Excels!

His head unit was an alpine cda 9884 w/ imprint.

He had them in a Jetta. No subwoofer just a simple 2 way active up front. Tweets were in A pillars mounted off axis at shoulder height was about 3" about dash or less. Mids were in kicks on axis. Amplifier was an Audison. His only complaint was that he was using Q logic pre fab kicks, evan with heavy deadening they were flimsy, and tweeter LAAAlotsss of diffraction going on up there.

I forgot the tweet he was runnin but he said it was temporarily. I believe it was a Hiquphon.

Anyways, I am going to post another question on diffraction for mounting tweets and mids, so please check it out! It will be titled "diffraction A pillars and kicks"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I was afraid someone would bring that up. They do not make one for my specefic vehicle. Something with the climate controls. They make one for the auto climate controls but not for manual climate controls. I have manual. Or lol maybe vise versa.

I had ordered a metra dash kit for 05-07 subaru legacy and what a mistake. I should have read the climate control option.

I contacted all of our audio shops, here and in the twin cities metro are and no company plans on making one for my specefic vehicle for my climate controls.

I do not wish to fiberglass one up, and plus I am in college, lots of thieves around i wouldnt mind keep it stock looking'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts