DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Registered
Just to update...

After installing the brax dsp, could immediately tell difference in quality! First off the loading time was basically none. My previous mk2 pro would take about 5-10 seconds to start, and when switching presets, the mk2 pro took about 7-10 seconds, while the brax takes only 2-3, which is a neat improvement. All channels, high/midrange/midbass and subass had a huge audible improvement, the tweeters sounded more prcise and clear, while the midrange is more focued and sharp. The midbass and subbass had the biggest improvement overall.. the midbass sounds more expanded and pronounced throughout while the subbass has become more smoother and linear. Did not imagine just by switching a dsp it can make such a drastic improvement. Now I need to adjust tuning properly and a few tweaks along the way. Ive spent alot of time, effort, and money in this build, hoping for it all to work out! Still working on the build currently, getting the door panels redone, and a pillars. Will post a few pics of how it looks after everything is settled! Cheers!
Look up confirmation bias 馃憤馃徏

Super Moderator
@SkizeR @Porsche; you guys clearly have a vendetta with the OP. Everyone knows it.

I know there was some history with sales gone bad, and I'm not defending anyone, or taking sides here... but you need to back off.

If you have specific questions for the OP about the setup of this DSP, or what his measured findings are, then go ahead and ask.
But all you're doing right now is throwing grenades over a fence, hoping to get a reaction from the OP.
It's getting tiresome...

Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
I wish you were closer I鈥檇 like a real comparison with this and my upgraded zapco hdsp. It makes me wonder now how much mark up is on that. To each his own tho it鈥檚 a great dsp no matter what it was one I was debating for a good while getting myself.

Reactions: ExoTicLeveL

Registered
I'd like to see some more gut shots of the Brax DSP. So the Brax amps have LME49720 which is a high performance Bipolar op amp.. very nice and arguably better sounding than most burr brown ones. The only amp I have seen them in from the factory besides Brax is the Zapco AP series. So it makes me wonder if these were also somehow implemented in the Brax DSP.. or really just what op amps they are using for the Analog Inputs and especially the Analog outputs..

The Helix Ultra has some pretty decent ones.. they are the "OPA" series (OP1678) on the analog inputs and outputs.. so they are not branded burr brown they are branded as Texas Instruments Audio op amps, but they are a modern high performance op amp from the same line as burr brown. so that essentially what they are.. but without the burr brown badge.

Sometimes people think optical is king.. but if you have low quality dac where the conversion is being done I would argue It could be better to do the digital to analog conversion on the high end DAC (there should be good ones in the Brax DSP) and as a result using the analog outputs could be better. The signal WILL need to be converted to analog at some point to be amplified.. so there is that.. if you have an amp with optical input it depends on what DAC is in it..

If anyone can get pictures of these chips on the Brax DSP analog output cards I would love to see what they are... I cannot find any high resolution pics of the insides of the Brax DSP..

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Magenta

Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4鈥檚 &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
The night and day difference is for real, we did the A/B testing with Brax and Ultra, that鈥檚 the reason why I鈥檓 using the HDSP in my truck and is getting an Brax for A/B with the Zapco for my shop鈥檚 comp car. The Ultra is still a really really good processor but the Brax and Zapco is on another level.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'd like to see some more gut shots of the Brax DSP. So the Brax amps have LME49720 which is a high performance Bipolar op amp.. very nice and arguably better sounding than most burr brown ones. The only amp I have seen them in from the factory besides Brax is the Zapco AP series. So it makes me wonder if these were also somehow implemented in the Brax DSP.. or really just what op amps they are using for the Analog Inputs and especially the Analog outputs..

The Helix Ultra has some pretty decent ones.. they are the "OPA" series (OP1678) on the analog inputs and outputs.. so they are not branded burr brown they are branded as Texas Instruments Audio op amps, but they are a modern high performance op amp from the same line as burr brown. so that essentially what they are.. but without the burr brown badge.

Sometimes people think optical is king.. but if you have low quality dac where the conversion is being done I would argue It could be better to do the digital to analog conversion on the high end DAC (there should be good ones in the Brax DSP) and as a result using the analog outputs could be better. The signal WILL need to be converted to analog at some point to be amplified.. so there is that.. if you have an amp with optical input it depends on what DAC is in it..

If anyone can get pictures of these chips on the Brax DSP analog output cards I would love to see what they are... I cannot find any high resolution pics of the insides of the Brax DSP..

View attachment 316978
I will try to get the pics of the guts for the brax, but maybe this might help a bit. Also, I think the brax has dual OP amp bb2134 but I will confirm on that.
The night and day difference is for real, we did the A/B testing with Brax and Ultra, that鈥檚 the reason why I鈥檓 using the HDSP in my truck and is getting an Brax for A/B with the Zapco for my shop鈥檚 comp car. The Ultra is still a really really good processor but the Brax and Zapco is on another level.
Yes, definately, I went from the mk2pro to the brax and there is an audible difference just by switching.. still have to do a lot of tuning and eqing, hopefully I can find someone decent here In Canada that can do some proper tuning! The Zapco HDSP is also an awesome DSP. I was going to go ahead with that, but since I got a great deal on the brax, decided might as well.

Attachments

Registered
I still remember checking something on the computer in another room being able to tell when the Brax was playing lol

Reactions: Mullings

Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4鈥檚 &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
I still remember checking something on the computer in another room being able to tell when the Brax was playing lol
Yep, it was that much better

Registered
I will try to get the pics of the guts for the brax, but maybe this might help a bit. Also, I think the brax has dual OP amp bb2134 but I will confirm on that.

Yes, definately, I went from the mk2pro to the brax and there is an audible difference just by switching.. still have to do a lot of tuning and eqing, hopefully I can find someone decent here In Canada that can do some proper tuning! The Zapco HDSP is also an awesome DSP. I was going to go ahead with that, but since I got a great deal on the brax, decided might as well.
@AudioGal has the gear and know how to nail down a proper tune, make the drive.

Registered

That's great. I've heard good things about the Zapco I just get very weary with newer products. Audiotech Fischer has been doing it for so long I trust them more, especially considering the complexity of a DSP. I've not tried the Zapco so I cant really comment on them, except that literally every other DSP i've used besides an Audiotech Fischer unit has given me issues. Noise, low output voltage, lack of features, glitching, not turning on or off, all the crap you dont want happening. But you and a few other people now have mentioned to me that the Zapco unit was performing well so that is good to hear. Competition always drives innovation so I think it's a good thing.

Premium Member
Hopefully not too far off topic: With my DM-810, really well produced clean music sounds fantastic. All the usual "test" songs from Focal and Helix where every instrument is well defined sounds great. But that's not what I listen to. Tool sounds muddy and overly processed. Adding the LGD's helped. Would a better DSP make a difference? Or is the crappy "Meridian/jag" amp messing with the signal before it even hits the DSP? In my previous car with nothing but a Pioneer "network mode" DSP HU, "Parabola" sounded amazing. It sounds amazing in the TR8, which has no DSP at all.

Registered
Hopefully not too far off topic: With my DM-810, really well produced clean music sounds fantastic. All the usual "test" songs from Focal and Helix where every instrument is well defined sounds great. But that's not what I listen to. Tool sounds muddy and overly processed. Adding the LGD's helped. Would a better DSP make a difference? Or is the crappy "Meridian/jag" amp messing with the signal before it even hits the DSP? In my previous car with nothing but a Pioneer "network mode" DSP HU, "Parabola" sounded amazing. It sounds amazing in the TR8, which has no DSP at all.
Or is it different expectation? If you invest more do we expect it to be 50%+ better?

My current cheap system to me sounds more enjoyable than my old competition sub (except lacking the large sub). But it isn鈥檛 as accurate and wouldn鈥檛 score as well.

Maybe some systems just don鈥檛 sound enjoyable and are more technical. Could be down to balance between sub or mid bass output or high end level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
That's great. I've heard good things about the Zapco I just get very weary with newer products. Audiotech Fischer has been doing it for so long I trust them more, especially considering the complexity of a DSP. I've not tried the Zapco so I cant really comment on them, except that literally every other DSP i've used besides an Audiotech Fischer unit has given me issues. Noise, low output voltage, lack of features, glitching, not turning on or off, all the crap you dont want happening. But you and a few other people now have mentioned to me that the Zapco unit was performing well so that is good to hear. Competition always drives innovation so I think it's a good thing.
The zapco is a solid piece, it definitely is a step up from the Ultra but the UI is not as friendly as PC tools, with good time alignment and a 1/3 octave tune, everything is more detailed and clearer than my best tune on the Ultra. 3 people purchased one after hearing my truck at SVR, one walked out and went straight over to the xcellsus tent and bought a pair of xxm325鈥檚 immediately. The UI needs some 鈥済etting use to鈥 but if you鈥檙e not stupid you鈥檒l be ok, it pisses me off a few times but that vivid and clear signature makes me can鈥檛 look back, I鈥檓 gonna get a Brax for a comparison only because I don鈥檛 like to settle but the zapco is solid.

Registered
I'd like to see some more gut shots of the Brax DSP.

Found this recent clip where they change some of the output modules, but not sure if it's clear enough to pinpoint the actual chips. But there are gut shots at least :)

Registered
Found this recent clip where they change some of the output modules, but not sure if it's clear enough to pinpoint the actual chips. But there are gut shots at least :)

You need to buy one for 鈥榬esearch鈥 purposes for us all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
damn you guys, I just bought an Ultra

Reactions: kB86

Registered
Has anyone (else as I read up and someone indeed did leave a comment about this exactly) compared the H-DSP directly with the Ultra? Kinda curious if people say the H-DSP goes against the Brax at such a price disparity.

Can't launch the zapco software atm to compare with Helix :(

21 - 40 of 47 Posts