DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If price was the same for a lightly used Brax NOX4 (non dsp) and a BNIB Helix A4 which would you with and why? I haven’t been able to find many reviews on either. Current equipment is Audiofrog GB 3 way, Helix dsp.2, and a Helix A2 for the GB60s. Thanks

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I currently own two Brax NOX4 Dsp’s and don’t plan on parting with them anytime in the foreseeable future. The non dsp nox4’s are few and far between so I don’t have any firsthand knowledge with the amp on its own but I’ve never owned a Helix A4 either so take this for what it’s worth. Going on specs alone the Brax looks like it’s got a slight edge on the Helix. Add that along with the fact that Brax is Audiotech-Fischer’s flagship upgrade from the helix line I’d no doubt put my money on the Brax if given the choice between the two. If you can find a NOX4 dsp for a few more bucks I’d highly recommend going that route as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. From what I can see the NOX4 dsp is a lesser version of the dsp I have now. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The NOX4 is an EXCELLENT amp. You can simply think of it as a "baby" MX4, Audiotech Fishers longtime flagship amp. DISCLAIMER -- I have 3 of them, including an NOX4DSP.

While the NOX4DSP may be a "lesser" version of the DSP.2 that you are using now, it is still a more then capable DSP. See my thread here--

NOTE that I am referencing that thread because the NOX4 runs the SAME software as the DSP Pro Mk1, but not the DSP pro MK2.

ALSO, the NOX4DSP INCLUDES the amp, so in one sense it is a MORE capable unit then the stand alone DSP that you are now using. JK/LOL

All that said, I have no doubt that you would be more then satisfied with either the NOX4 or NOXDSP as long as they meet your space and power constraints!!!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Not sure what dsp you’re running now but I’ve got a helix pro mkii as well as a helix mini that I use in my daily as well as in my weekend car and I still route my entire front stage through the Brax dsp with the two rca outs going to a separate amplifier to push the midbass and the on board dsp and amp pushing the mids and highs. The software is no longer upgradable after 3.54 I believe so you may not have access to a small amount of features the new helix dsps have but just from an auditory standpoint the Brax always sounds cleaner and tighter than it does when using either of my helix dsps. I switched initially from the helix P6 to the Brax NOX4 dsp and the difference was so dramatic I packed up the p6 to sell to put towards another NOX4 without even a second listen or thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nox4 is ordered. I figured I would always be wondering about it so I might as well do it given they were the same price, and according to the previous owner it only has about 12 hours playtime on it so basically new. I too didn’t care for the psix. Although a great simple solution I just found the sound unpleasant. As soon as I switched back to a Mosconi on the mids and the highs I could tell a difference. I know I know all amps sound the same lol. I’m going to stick with the helix dsp because I do like some of the features like the RTA and what can be done with it. I’m very excited to get this Brax in my hands!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts