DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! This is my first post here and I’m happy to join you guys! I’m getting into car audio pretty seriously now and am ready to kick everything up a notch. So on to my question.
I have a 4 channel amp, which supports bridging of both 1/2 and 3/4. So I’m using 3/4 as my rear driver and pass side door speakers. I am in the process of building a special enclosure to place another set of 2 door speakers and tweeters in the center console pointing backwards. Can I wire the crossover into the 3/4 bridge layout (pos3 and neg4) while still retaining functionally of the individual 3 and 4 channels? Another side question, will bridging spread the load across both channels 3/4 for the center speakers? Thanks in advance for any help!
LV

· Registered
2,206 Posts
There is a method to do something called tri-mode wiring, you could look that up if you like (dont bother as there is a better method to safely wire this up). I would recommend that if you absolutely need to do this than just wire this extra set of speakers in parallel with channel 3 and 4 (not bridged). So assuming your rear door speaker are 4 ohm and your new speaker are also 4 ohm than you would have a 2ohm load at channel 3 and 4 at the amp. Assuming the amp can handle the 2ohm load, most can.

Another diagram that might help. R1 would be your rear right door, R2 would be your rear center console right side. Repeat for the Left side.

You should probably post what amp you're using just so we can make sure you're not going to blow it up...

· Registered
4,515 Posts
You will need a passive crossover to do this safely, to do it right it will likely cost more than a second cheap amp… and a cheap amp will make a better job than using trimode

If you don’t use a passive hp/lp network both drivers will play the same freq and likely load down the amp too much

If the amp is 4ohm bridged and 2 ohm stereo stable and you have a bridged 4ohm (the same as 2 ohm stereo) load that is it’s minimum, without passives that are well designed any other load will likely drop the load below 2ohms per stereo channel as all drivers will be playing the same freqs

In essence, can you… yup… in reality, without spending a load of cash which you could spend on a second amp your gonna end up with at best a distorted mess, at worst a fried amp

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So from what I understand I’m best off to get a cheap secondary amp for the center speakers. I have crossovers as a part of the component system, but I’m not sure if they’re passive. The amp is an Alpine R-A60F

· Registered
11,369 Posts
Hello all! This is my first post here and I’m happy to join you guys! I’m getting into car audio pretty seriously now and am ready to kick everything up a notch. So on to my question.
I have a 4 channel amp, which supports bridging of both 1/2 and 3/4. So I’m using 3/4 as my rear driver and pass side door speakers. I am in the process of building a special enclosure to place another set of 2 door speakers and tweeters in the center console pointing backwards. Can I wire the crossover into the 3/4 bridge layout (pos3 and neg4) while still retaining functionally of the individual 3 and 4 channels? Another side question, will bridging spread the load across both channels 3/4 for the center speakers? Thanks in advance for any help!
LV
I don't look at what you are trying to do as "bridging" as much as it seems you are planning to run 2 sets of speakers in parallel maybe? Right now you have 3 running left rear and 4 running right rear i assume? And you want to add another rear left and rear right ( from your special enclosure) that also includes tweeters? I don't see why you would have to bridge anything if both the rear speakers and the special enclosure speakers are both 4 ohm sets and the amp is 2 ohm stable. As Lithium says....post your entire equipment list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.