DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a quick question. A lot of people are bridging 4 channel amps for their front components because it's hard (read: expensive) to get big power at 4 ohms. Doesn't this increase the THD of the signal and therefore decrease the sound quality? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Yes it does but the distortion is still way lower than other factors and will not heard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it would be advisible to run an MB Quart 50.4 amp bridged to a set of Image Dynamic CTX65cs's if it was clean power?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
As long as they dont dip much below 4ohms,absolutely.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
So it would be advisible to run an MB Quart 50.4 amp bridged to a set of Image Dynamic CTX65cs's if it was clean power?
Biamping them or even better running active will really wake them up. I have a rated 160 watts going to just my ID mids and they beg for more.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Which MB Quart amplifier is that? I know that the MB Quart REF series do over 30% more than rated power when tested on the bench. I would recommend first to give it a try without bridging the channels. Play some reference material. If you can't hear the noise floor, then there is plenty of power for the given speakers. If you're not happy, then bridge the channels. In my experience, from bridging a Jensen 5-channel amplifier (admittedly, not a great brand), before bridging the noise floor is somewhat audible on some tracks implying that the gains are pretty much maxed out. After bridging, it's less audible, but alternator whine becomes more noticeable. Of course, Jensen is likely a crap amplifier, so this experience need not translate to other brands.

Then I switched to MB Quart REF4.80. I could have bought more expensive brand, but based on third party tests, it meets and exceeds all specifications. It's indeed "reference" quality, as the name suggests. I am running it to power component speakers in bi-amp mode without bridging. What a great little amp! It's a excellent Class A/B amplifier with a form factor and power of a good Class D. Very clean sound, no noise floor, and no alternator whine at all. Plenty of headroom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MB Quart FX4.50 (FX450) 400W 4-Channel Formula Car Amplifier
This is the one I'm looking at.
I'm trying to get an honest but not expensive 1st time SQ oriented setup without spending a ton of cash. I've got an RE Audio 12.1 Sub amp and a choice of 2 Sundown SA-12's ported at 33hz in about 3.5cu/ft shared wired to 1 ohm or an RE Audio SE 15" sealed in a little less than 2cu/ft. I personally like the RE 15" as it sounds much better. To go along with some Image Dynamic CTX 6.5cs components

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
MB Quart FX4.50 (FX450) 400W 4-Channel Formula Car Amplifier
This is the one I'm looking at.
I'm trying to get an honest but not expensive 1st time SQ oriented setup without spending a ton of cash. I've got an RE Audio 12.1 Sub amp and a choice of 2 Sundown SA-12's ported at 33hz in about 3.5cu/ft shared wired to 1 ohm or an RE Audio SE 15" sealed in a little less than 2cu/ft. I personally like the RE 15" as it sounds much better. To go along with some Image Dynamic CTX 6.5cs components

Not bad for a first time setup. However, after selecting all this gear is there a reason to go with a 4x50watt amplifier (other than money)? I can think of two amplifiers better than this that cost not a whole lot more. First is the 4x100watt formula series MB Quart amplifier. Second, is the Aura RMS2300 2x150watt (at 4ohms) 2-channel amplifier sold by parts express (only $99 shipped). It's fairly large though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Money and size are the issues. I'd like the component amp to go under the front seat of my 2001 Accord. For the sake of simplicity I'd like to keep it passive for now. Won't the Formula 4.100 put out too much power for the ID's bridged? I don't plan on running the 6X9's in the back. I plan on doing semi external ports from my sub/s through the 6X9 openings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts