DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a build I'm doing for a friend... I accepted the challenge of trying to make great sound with a really low budget ($1,000 total for below equipment).
  • head unit
  • amp (s)
  • 2 way
  • sub
I will be doing the install and any fabrication...

Budget builds are not really my thing, so I need some help picking equipment! :)

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It already has an old single din h/u in the dash that will be replaced... I haven't decided on active or passive yet. If I could get a h/u with some processing power, active might work. Otherwise, passive would be fine...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd get the focal components in the classifieds or see if GIJoe still has the illusion audio set for sale. Both are heavily discounted. One of those and a decent/cheap amp, HU and the dayton sub should sound pretty good. JBL amps are on sale at crutchfield now I believe.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
It would use up a ton of that budget, but Blaupunkt has this coming out:

This one is more budget friendly, and would look great in that dash:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
dyna esotan, NIB, 232, $290 delivered in lower 48

Reactions: DavidRam

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys!

What would be some decent budget amps to look at? One bridgeable 4 channel or 2 channel and mono block?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still looking at amp options... What other options are there among the budget, small amps??

I need 2 x 70ish and 1 x 300ish

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didn't act a passive setup in my '94 325 IS 4-in and Tweeter on a passive crossovers and then a six and a half in the kick panels you could run that off an 35x4

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm still looking at amp options... What other options are there among the budget, small amps??

I need 2 x 70ish and 1 x 300ish
I like the JL 500/3 for this... although new it eats a lot of the budget, but used these can be bought sub $250 for the v2 and probably under $200 for a v1... really over-deliver and are tiny... If looks are not an issue or its gonna be hidden, I have a rough one I could possibly part with

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Hmmm, might have a Mosconi Pico at some point which is 2 x 80 and tiny. Also have SB Acoustics SB29 RDCN tweeters and a Pioneer PRS4200F which is very powerful and sounds very good. I’ll also be taking out my wife’s Dayton 408 and putting that up for sale at some point. It has the bluetooth module so it can be tuned from an iPad and it can stream music directly to the DSP too. Also have an Alpine monoblock that I think is 400 watts into 2 ohms.

Reactions: DavidRam

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Alright, this thing is finally getting going...

Gear is pretty much what was recommended in this thread, so thanks guys!
Clarion M508 (btw, a near perfect match to the E36 interior!)
Dynaudio Esotan 232
Taramps DS440x4 & Bass 400 2 ohm
Dayton LS12

So far we are at just over $900, so this one should stay right on budget for the equipment!

I just cut the Baltic Birch 3/4" plywood for the box. It'll be sealed with 1.3 cuft.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The design I came up with will be a basic box, but the amps will hang down over the sub box mounted on hinges so they can swing back and forth, thereby keeping themselves cool!

Haha! j/k

Seriously though, the amps will hang down over the sub box, and they'll have a thick acrylic backing that will be lit up with LEDS.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Baltic birch in a budget build. Not fooling anyone with that one! lol Great choices I love budget builds for someone else, just as long as they truly appreciate it. Thanks for sharing I will keep tabs on this.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Any money factored in for sound deadening, or will you supply that for him ? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I know these are not in your budget - but the Brax Matrix 3 way are drop in replacements for your door panel just the midbass you would need to make a plan with...

The Brax 1.1 and 2.1 are exact fits in oem locations or just about - I seriously considered them when I had my E36 M3

Otherwise I think the DLS 3 way with the UP2.5” mid is also a fit - that’s what I used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 61 Posts