DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a DIY budget build using left over equipment and minimal $$. I have already pulled the interior and run the wires and need input on speakers and head unit.

Car is a Porsche 944 convertible so the audio quality is going to be compromised because of the fabric roof and body shake.

Left over equipment includes a Soundstream EGA 1000w 5 channel amp, JL Audio 250 amp, a Focal WX27 subwoofer will be in the spare tire location. I have cables, wires and a couple of cheap head units (the "nicer" one is a Pioneer DEH33 HD - hardly reference stuff, but considering the car...). For simplicity this will be a passive system. I mostly will listen to radio and iPods sound source (with occasional CD).

The car came stock with upgraded stereo (3 way speakers, 1" located in upper part of door, 3.5", 5.25" in the lower section) in the front doors, and 6 x 4 in the back panels. If i could reuse the stock mounting that would save me major headache/work.

Soooo, should I go with a 2 way that fits the 5.25" (haven't found a 3 way that fits original), is that going to be too lean in the mids/low and not enough for convertible? Should I bother with the back panel 6 x 4 speakers as a way of filling the cabin? Should I bite the bullet and go with a 3 way..my budget for the balance of the hardware (speaker/head unit - willing to go used) is $400-600.

Thanks in advance for any insight, and how to best use the equipment and funds!

·
Registered
200 Posts
As a convertible owner, I can tell you the thing that you lose more than anything is lower mid-range and mid-bass. Since you have the amp power, I would spend the money on a mid to good 3-way front stage. I have some old Boston Acoustic 64.3 three-ways with less power than you and I am very happy...even with the top down on the highway. The next thing I would do is save your nickels for a HU that does Time Alignment. It makes a major difference even in a loud convertible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts