DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I think I have settled on my front amplifier, I am thinking of buying a monoblock for my subwoofer. My subwoofer is Infinity Kappa that's rated for 350watts RMS. There is a switch between 2 and 4ohms. According to T/S specs, which change when the switch is flipped, the sub actually needs a 1.2 cu ft box for perfect qtc in 4ohm mode, and 1.7cu ft in 2ohm mode. I have it running in 1cu sealed box with a little polyfill at 2ohms with 250watt AB amplifier, and I feel quite satisfied with the output. However, now I need a physically small amplifier.

Some amps I am looking at right now

MB Quart ONX1.1500D:

Pros: tons of power 500watts into 4ohms, 1000watts into 2ohms. Too much actually, but having so much power on tap is nice if I later upgrade to something in the class with Morel Ultimo or JBL W12GTI.

MB Quart ONX1.1000D:

Pros: cheaper than ONX1.1500D. Basically the same thing with lower rating. Still plenty.

Alpine MRP-m500

Pros: cheap, compact. 500watts RMS into 2ohms.

PPI Phantom monoblock

Pros: I don't know anything. Are these available already?

Boston Acoustics GTA-400M or GTA-500M:

Pros: Basically the same thing. 500watts RMS into 2ohms. The Q-Tune feature acts as a parametric bass equalizer and gives you boost at the subsonic filter frequency which is a neat feature for sealed box users to give a little boost in 20-30Hz region.

Boston Acoustics GTA-1000M

Pros: A more powerful version of the above. More expensive.

I am leaning towards the Boston Acoustics amps for the Q-tune feature, although those MB Quarts look very seductive with so much power on tap. I would like to hear opinions. Will consider buying open box/refurbished Boston GT class D monoblocks if offered cheap.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts